EPISODE 13: WHERE WAS GOD?

#SACRED_OATHS

Author: Samuel Frederick

Episode 13: WHERE WAS GOD?

__________

“Big Tiny?” I mentioned with wide-open eyes. My landlord simply nodded, staring at me weirdly.

“What's wrong?” he asked. “Is anything the matter?”

“No, not at all Oga landlord. Thank you very much!” I lied, trying to cover the shock on my face with a weak smile.

“Are you sure, Fifi Ghana? What is in that nylon?”

“Nothing sir, just some basic items of clothing.” I lied again. “Nothing to worry about.”

“Really? Is it because of common clothes that you suddenly look so shocked?" Papa Ijeoma asked, still not buying my lies. "If that's the case, then bring it closer to me so I can see the items clearly, to determine if they're up to my taste.”

"Oga landlord leave me alone. Funny old man!" I said and quickly carried the keg with me, keeping a firm grip on the polythene bag as I ran inside.

I shut the door and locked it and then stood there, staring at the nylon like a plague. A part of me wanted to just take it outside and burn it all up, but on the contrary, doing that could lead to serious consequences, so I just dropped it instead and waited upon Mimi's return to hear her opinion about it.

Afterwards, I went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. I was busy slicing onions in the kitchen when a knock came at the door. Out of the rush to wash my hands and answer the door, I cut myself with the knife, and it started dripping blood very slowly.

Angrily, I went to the door and opened it, using a finger to rub the cut, only to see a man with a bald head, a suitcase, an umbrella and a Bible in his right hand.

“Good day brethren,” he greeted, smiling like a delicate teddy bear. I looked at him from head to toe, wondering what brought him to my place. Of all houses in the neighborhood, why did it have to be mine he spotted? I thought, frowning.

“What do you want?”

“I want to share the word of the Lord with you, if you don't mi…”

I shut the door to his face before he could even complete his sentence. I was completely fed up with these brainwashed religious fools.

Almost immediately, he knocked again. I opened up with all the anger vested in me, and I stepped out on my doormat.

“What is it again, mister?!” I shouted at him. "Respect yourself and leave me alone!"

“Brethren please, I won't take much of your time,” he said, still smiling like a complete moron. “Five minutes should be more than enough time for us to talk about God!”

“I am not interested. You can leave.”

“Brethren please, just…”

“I said I'm not interested. Is it by force?”

I stepped back inside and shut the door. I had barely stepped into the kitchen when another knock came again. It seemed like this man wanted trouble, and I was more than ready to serve it to him excessively.

So I grabbed my frying pan and broom along with me as I went to open the door, for the umpteenth time.

“It seems you…” I was about to say when I noticed that the figure had changed. Instead of a bald-headed man with a suitcase and an umbrella with him, a fine young sophisticated guy stood there, smiling innocently.

I hadn't seen Boma dressed in a suit before. He looked classy. His smile was radiant. All my anger vanished at the sight of his appealing figure.

“Hi.”

“Hi!”

After that, we were both tongue-tied, so I just opened the door properly and led him inside. He made himself comfortable on my bed while I returned to the kitchen to continue cooking.

Contrary to my expectation that I would find him watching TV when I returned, I met him reading Mimi's Bible instead. He seemed to be so engrossed in it that he wasn't even aware I was standing there, until I called him.

“Boma!”

He looked over his shoulder and focused on me, looking perplexed.

“How long have you been standing there?”

“Long enough to see you reading a Bible. You of all people.” I said, walking back to him; and then I sat close to him on the bed.

“You have a nice place, Fifi.”

“Thank you. I also like your suit. It's too fine!”

“Really?”

“Yeah, it's nice, and it looks good on you big time.”

“Thanks. I didn't really expect to meet you at home, though. I was just passing by the hood and decided to stroll down here.”

“Where did you go to?”

“Church.”

I almost laughed.

“You mean you, Boma, you actually went to church?” I couldn't hold it in anymore; I erupted into uncontrollable laughter. “Where's your proof?”

“I don't have a Bible but God understands my heart. What about you, didn't you go?”

“Go to where exactly? Please, count me out of it. I'm not brainwashed like you gullible people.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you truly believe there is a God in this world?”

“Yes, I believe and I know that He truly exists, even if I rarely attend church services. He is alive.”

“So where was this God when my mother died, despite how well I served Him? Despite all of my hardwork and dedication in His so-called church?”

“Hmm. I see where this is coming from, and I'm sorry about your mom, Fifi. My most sincere condolence,” Boma said. “But do you know that what you are doing now is blasphemy?" Boma cautioned me politely. "Regardless of any situation you find yourself, you must never blaspheme God. I'll advise you to take back those words, Fifi.”

“Boma, I said what I said. Deal with it.” I said. “Now, where was this God when my mother died? You're yet to answer me.”

“Fifi, calm down.”

“Don't tell me to calm down. Where was God when I lost her?”

I suddenly had teary eyes. It was only a matter of time before I'd burst into tears.

Memories of my mother's face and blurry images of my childhood started flooding my head at that moment.

“Where was He?” I spoke with finality, and broke into tears eventually. “Where was God? Where?!”