EPISODE 19: THE LION'S DEN.

SACRED_OATHS

Author: Samuel Frederick

Episode 19: THE LION'S DEN.

__________

Within a brief moment, we had breakfast, prepared for school and left the house at last. Mimi accompanied me to the nearby bank to deposit the money, and after we completed the procedures, we took a campus shuttle to school. I had transferred N40,000 into my dad’s account while the remaining N10,000 went into Akosuaʼs. I was sure she would see it, so I switched off my phone to avoid her calls, because she was fond of asking unnecessary questions.

When we got to school, the lecture hall was already filled to the brim with students. I found it hard to concentrate because my mind wasn’t fully on the examination but on my dad’s health.

Immediately we concluded the last paper for the day and everyone trooped out of the exam hall, I switched on my phone and called Akosua to get updates. She picked up the call and she sounded extremely gleeful as she started narrating how she got the money, paid the bill and watched them commence adequate treatment on my father. I had to put up an excuse that I had a flat battery when she asked why my number wasn’t reachable after I deposited the money into their accounts.

“But Sister Fifi, don’t you think the amount you sent is too much?” She asked, sounding suspicious.

“Do you mean daddy’s life is less than fifty thousand Naira?”

“No, I don’t mean it that way, but let’s be very logical here. The amount of money you sent is too much for an average female student to possess.” Akosua explained. “Tell me how you did it.”

“So according to you, I’m too small to have that amount of money in my possession? Is that what you mean?”

“No, no, you are getting me wrong. I mean…”

“Is daddy there?” I interrupted, trying to change the topic.

“Yes, he is, but he hasn’t woken up yet.” She answered. “He’s still sleeping.”

“Alright. When he wakes up, tell him I would like to speak with him. Give me a call.” I instructed.

“I definitely will.” Akosua assured me, and added: “Lest I forget, Sister Fifi, there’s this particular nice gown I saw at the mall yesterday! One very fine gown like that.”

“So what’s my business with that?” I asked and hanged up immediately, before she could even reply and start off with her demands.

Just then, another call came in. It was an unsaved number this time around. I figured it was probably Akosua disguising herself, so I shunned it. It kept on ringing persistently until I was forced to take the call.

“Hello Akosua, behave yourself!” I said bluntly. “Seriously!”

The caller retained silence.

“Hello?”

“I’m not Akosua. Meet me outside of your school’s back gate now.” The caller ordered. The voice sounded masculine.

“Who are you?”

“It doesn’t matter. I can see you from where I am; and make sure you come alone,” he instructed and hung up at once. I looked around to clarify if the environment was safe.

Everything looked pretty normal to me; nothing seemed unlikely at all.

So I was encouraged by the serene surrounding to proceed to the back gate where I met a lanky guy wearing dark shades, leaning on an electric pole outside. He waved at me and motioned for me to get into the car near him.

“Why should I get in?” I asked, standing before him.

“She’s in the car,” he said, demonstrating with his hands.

“Who’s in the car?”

“Don't ask stupid questions. Just get in!” He flared up. I was taken aback by his rudeness.

“And if I don’t, what happens?” I tried to stand my ground. He gave me a short laugh and moved closer to me, opened his jacket and then whispered into my right ear: “Can you see that?”

I was shocked when I realized he had a pistol on him. I almost screamed out loud but he was quick enough to get a hold of me, opened the back door and then pushed me into the car.

To my surprise, the light-skinned lady I once met at the popular restaurant was the one sitting inside. She sat at the back seat while a man on red cap and earrings occupied the driver’s seat.

The car glasses were all tinted, implying that I was in grave danger with these people.

“If you had just complied with him, he wouldn’t have forced you that way.” Monica said, but I ignored her and tried to open the door with all the strength I could muster, but it proved futile—all to no avail.

“It’s locked already,” Monica giggled animatedly, “don’t bother yourself.”

“What do you want from me?!” I yelled angrily, clenching my fists.

“Try to calm down and behave yourself first, then maybe we can talk business.” She said with a smile, acting like the whole scene was cool.

“You are holding me down at gunpoint and you expect me to calm down?” I asked irritatedly. She kept mute and smiled with her avid focus on me. I was forced to fold my hands and act cool to give her the impression that I was calm, so I could get this over with.

“Straight to the point,” Monica began, in her usual annoying manner of speaking. “I am aware of the fact that you have the package we delivered to you a few days ago, am I correct?” She asked. I remained silent, gazing into thin air.

“That package was from the Senator I told you about,” she continued, “and he intends to know how far we have gone with the campaign. We told him we have high hopes of winning with you on our side to support us, and he bought the idea. He’s also placing his hopes on you full time and says that he’ll do anything you so wish for, as long as you assist us against our rival party and…”

“Hold on! Just hold on!” I interrupted, shooting a soul-piercing, deadly look into her eyes. “But I told you I wasn’t interested in all this, didn’t I?”

“You don’t have a choice.” She said. “Swallow your pride and work with us. It’s for your own good.”

I laughed hysterically.

“What’s funny?”

“Do you know I can sue you and this so-called Senator for forcing me to help you all illegally?” I threatened viciously.

The moment I said that, she and the driver burst into uncontrollable laughter.

“Do you know who this Senator is?” Monica asked amid laughter. “You don’t even stand the slightest chance against him! I mean, who are you?”

“Stay away from me. This is your final warning!” I threatened. She was still laughing aloud when she said to the driver: “Biggie, open the door for her please.”

The car’s locks were opened at once and I stepped out of the lion’s den. The lady lowered the glass from the inside and stretched an envelope to me.

“Have this! It’s another token from the Senator.” She said.

“Tell your Senator to take his money and bundle himself to hell!” I hissed and walked away confidently.