EPISODE 31: CAN'T BREATHE.

SACRED_OATHS

Author: Samuel Frederick

Episode 31: CAN’T BREATHE.

__________

One week later.

We abducted a member of the rival gang and held him in our custody for one week. One week of merciless beatings, terrific torture and brutal starvation like they did to me, yet, he refused to say anything concerning his gang’s location.

We devised all sort of methods, used all sort of techniques to torture him, but still, he didn’t budge. He acted abrasively stubborn!

So, having no other option left, Simon’s next idea was to cut off his ears and his fingers, and maybe a toe from his foot too. Maybe by doing all that—according to Simon—he might confess. But I protested against Simon’s suggestion! I decided to intervene instead.

I asked them to take me to the torture room so that I could speak with the hostage in person. At first, Boma was reluctant by declining my request adamantly, but after much plea and pressure from me, he finally allowed me to go, albeit hesitantly.

I was led to the boys’ quarters behind the main building, where I’d never stepped in since I arrived here, primarily because of what the name implied, so as a lady, I assumed I had no business whatsoever being there, until today.

However, it was locked with two big, rusty padlocks, making it a bit of a hassle before we got in.

If I hadn’t seen this guy before we abducted him seven days ago, I would’ve said that he wasn’t the same person I laid eyes on when I walked in, because his face had really changed, probably as a result of the endless beatings he got every day. His eyes were swollen and soggy, so were his cheeks. His lips had lost shape, and his body was something else entirely to look at.

He was cuffed and chained to an iron chair, clad only in trousers as his bare wounded body remained visible and vulnerable to infections. I would’ve felt pity for him if they had also pitied me when they kidnapped and tortured me mercilessly.

I drew a chair and placed it in front of him and sat. Boma stood behind me while Simon moved behind the hostage. I paid rapt attention to his reactions, trying to study him. I watched how his eyes flickered as he raised his head up slowly to face me.

For a moment, he looked like he was shocked when we both made eye contact, glaring at me intermittently. In a split second, he raised his brows and frowned with his fists clenched, showing no readable facial expression.

“You again?!” He exclaimed angrily, bitterness evident from the tone of his voice. “So na you dem use catch me? God go punish you!” He cursed.

From the back, Simon lashed his neck with a swift blow, and he yelped in pain.

“Say one more word, and I’ll give you double of it!” Simon warned menacingly, clenching his fist for another blow, but I interceded for him.

“You should be thanking me you are still alive now,” I said to the hostage, “instead of misbehaving.”

“I should be thanking you? I swear na God go punish you for me!” He cursed again, wide-eyed. “You dey mad!”

Despite my already raging temper, I managed to keep calm and tolerate his foul attitude.

“I want to help you, only if you behave yourself and cooperate with us.” I said, trying to reason with him. “Do you think you can do that for me?”

“So this one that you good-for-nothing idiots did to me isn’t enough for you all, huh? Are you people mad? You tortured me for three good days without food and water, yet you still get mind to come back dey yarn bullshit for my face!” He fumed. “E be like una dey craze sha!”