EPISODE 25: CAUTION.

SACRED_OATHS

Author: Samuel Frederick

Episode 25: CAUTION.

__________

I woke up and found myself in a room painted in white. There was a bandage on my head, and my left hand was connected to a medical drip.

I observed the room and noticed that almost everything was white, including a woman's outfit who stood just opposite me. She seemed to be engrossed in what she was doing because she hadn't noticed that I'd just coughed.

I coughed again, loudly.

Almost immediately, she turned around and looked at me with a shocked facial expression.

“You are awake!” She exclaimed and ran out of the room screaming, “Doctor! Doctor!”

To say I was confused would be an understatement. I was literally pushed straight into the blue!

In the blink of an eye, the woman barged in again with another lady following behind her.

“My goodness! She’s awake!” The other lady exclaimed, scurrying towards me.

She placed a stethoscope on my chest and put her palm on my forehead, soothing it gently. Then, she took it off and hung it around her neck.

“Where am I?” I asked, attempting to sit up.

“No, no! Relax dear,” the lady and the nurse held me back. “You are safe here.”

“How did I get here?” I persisted, furrowing my brows.

“Itʼs a long story.” The doctor said.

“Just tell me!”

“Well, you were rushed here in the middle of the night by a car owner who claimed to have knocked you down. She said she spotted you running and tried to honk at you, but before she could do so, it turned out too late.” The doctor explained. “What baffles us the most is that, despite the impact of the hit you sustained, you have no fractured bones whatsoever. It’s unbelievable!”

I sighed and shrugged, intending to speak when an elderly woman barged in; fair in complexion and had rather distinct qualities of an half-caste, who should be in her early 50's. She hurriedly sat next to me and started touching me all over, particularly on my legs.

“Oh God! I’m so sorry my dear! How are you feeling? How is your body? How are your legs? Do you feel pains?” She asked all at once, leaving me confused as to which question I was supposed to answer first.

“Can I have a cup of water, please?” I asked.

“Sure!” The nurse replied and opened a small fridge near the bed. She took out a bottled water and a glass cup and filled up the cup, then she handed it to me. I gulped it all within seconds.

“I was very scared that I had lost you last night,” the elderly woman said as she collected the cup from me. “You can’t imagine how happy I am to see you back to life. Oh sweet Jesus! I’m so grateful!” She gestured by waving her free hand in the air.

“Would you like something to eat?” The doctor asked.

“Yes, please.” I nodded. “I haven’t eaten in days.”

“In days?” The elderly woman exclaimed, clearly shocked. I nodded again.

“But why?” She asked.

Meanwhile, the nurse had already walked out of the ward with a plastic tray, probably to fetch the food.

“I can’t tell.” I answered. “I’m not safe here. I need to leave soon before...”