EPISODE 20: SPILL THE TRUTH.

SACRED_OATHS

Author: Samuel Frederick

Episode 20: SPILL THE TRUTH.

__________

The confidence I portrayed by walking away was to show them that I wasn’t afraid of their threats. As much as I knew how dreadful they looked, I still knew for a fact that the threats I made were just empty echoes to their ears. I had to admit that I had no solid action to back it all up, and that I was very vulnerable and fragile to them.

I realized the mess I had gotten myself into. I needed to talk to someone urgently to clear my head. Anyone.

I walked back into the school until I got to the cafeteria. Just as I’d expected, Mimi, Oluchi and the guys were already there, including Bauchi and Eagle, the gentlemen who had been kind enough to drive us back home the previous day. They were all chatting away in merriment when I joined them.

“Where’ve you been?” Oluchi asked.

“I was about to call you now.” Mimi chipped in.

I stayed silent and managed to force a smile, then I exchanged pleasantries with everyone. They all kept mute after the greetings and fixed their eyes on me.

"What is it?" I was forced to ask after it went on for some time. Their stares were almost killing me.

"We heard about your dad's condition." Simon said.

"Is that the reason you were acting strange during the exam?" Oluchi interrupted, before I could even respond.

"Yes." I nodded. "But I'm fine now!" I quickly added.

"How is he feeling now?" Boma asked from the other side of the table. Our eyes met properly for the very first time that day.

"He's getting better." I replied, almost blushing. He got the hint and smiled at me with a cool wink. I smiled back too.

Those little gestures we made seemed to have attracted our friends' attention to the both of us, because their eyes travelled to and fro between us. Bauchi was the first person that noticed.

"Nawa for una o!" He said with a perfect Igbo accent that made every one of us burst into laughter. "Wetin my eyes no go see for this life sha."

"If una wan play love together, at least make the both of una go under that fine mango tree wey dey outside na! Do like Romeo and Juliet’s type of love." Eagle added, sending another wave of laughter across the table. I could barely contain myself at that point.

"Don't mind these two love birds jare." Kingsley said amid laughter. "Silly people."

Just then, we all noticed someone walking towards us. Our moods changed instantly. Kingsley in particular, hissed at her and directed his gaze elsewhere as she neared us.

Contrary to our expectations, she wasn't alone, neither was she coming to us. She was holding the hand of a tall macho guy who followed her like a sheep herded by its shepherd, and then she hissed loudly when she passed us; then they both took a table opposite us.

Our eyes bulged in shock as we all placed our gazes upon Kingsley.

"Why una dey look am?" Bauchi asked rhetorically.

"Help me ask them o!" Kingsley piped in, not even looking concerned at all.

"Isn't that Jovita?" Mimi asked, blinking her eyes repeatedly.

"Shey your eyes dey pain you?" Eagle tried to tease her, but nobody laughed. It wasn't a joke this time around.

"As far as I'm concerned, that girl is too childish for me." Kingsley said and took the last gulp from his beer, looking very unbothered.