Chapter 9

Zayn's POV

We were all doing our cool down lap around the pitch, but I couldn't keep my eyes of the boy sitting on the bleachers. Niall would smile at me then go back to doing his homework, which looked like he was just staring at it and then he would look back up at our practice.

"Hey, we still on for tonight?" Louis asked me as he jogged up next to me. I looked over at him then to the front of the line where Liam was. I can't do this to Liam. I told him I wouldn't, so I won't.

"After this practice, I'm too tired to do anything but sleep. How about on Saturday or a day we don't have anything?" I asked hoping he would believe my lie. I saw how much disappointment was in his eyes as he looked foward and jogged in silence. I actually felt really bad about lying to him. He's obviously trying to be better to me and here I am lying to him.

"How about I take like a thirty minute rest time, then I'll meet you back out here when it's dark?" I asked Louis, just wanting to make him happy again. He's trying, I should be trying too.

"Like at 9 we should meet here that way no one knows we snuck out past curfew." He offered with a cheeky grin. I laughed, but agreed to it. We both went to our football bags that were stuffed with water. I dumped a bottle of water on me, this spring weather is seriously going to be the death of me. It's either too hot, or warm with a nip to it. The only good thing about spring is we have spring break coming up after next week so we can all go home. At least, that's what I'm planing on doing. I don't want to do the traditional spring break thing, I want to go see my family.

"See you later. I'll text you when I'm coming out here." Louis told me as he finished packing his bag. I nodded and started drinking another water bottle.

"I'm going to make sure daddy Li is asleep before I sneak out. He'll be on me for being a naughty boy." I told him with a small laugh, when really I knew I was just going behind my best friends back and wishes to do this. I don't know why, but something about Louis draws me to him even if I don't like him. It's like fire and gasoline. We're fine on our own and at a distance, but we can't help but light up when we're together. Something just makes me want to be near him, even though I don't want to be. Does that even make sense?

I went into the locker room after the last person left to pitch just to make sure no one picked on Niall. Niall seemed so off into his own world as his blue eyes darted around at the green grass and blue sky surrounding him, I'm sure he wouldn't even notice if anyone did try to pick on him. He doesn't even know it's wrong when he does notice, I just have no idea how to tell him that's not right. I feel like if I did, some of his sweet innocence will dissappear. That's the last thing I want for him.

I made my way into the smelly locker room but when I walked past a corner to get to my locker I heard Harry's voice in a whisper.

"Just watch him. It's not good and I can feel it." He said to the other person I hadn't yet found out who it was because they were hidden by the locker.

"I know. I'm watching both of them, but it's like he refuses to know. Don't worry about it, Harry." Liam's soft voice spoke, making me walk right past where they were. I felt both their eyes on me and knew immediately they were just talking about me. It was probably the whole me and Louis thing. They were the only ones that knew about our deal, other than them we try to keep that a secret. Now it's over and I feel great relief from that. I just hope tonight we can hang out like normal people and talk about a few things.

I got all changed and ready to go back to my room to struggle through my homework. I went out to the pitch first and saw Niall still sitting there, but he had a confused look on his face. I walked over and sat next him, making him look at me.