Chapter 23

Zayn's POV

I went through the whole day of school just trying to give Niall his space and not go begging him to talk to me. I needed to handle this in a mature way, even if everytime I met those sweet blue eyes I would feel my heart rip down the middle.

During the last class of the day, a heavy rain, lighting and thunderstorm came over so obviously practice was canceled. I was fine with that because that ment I could try talking to Niall sooner. That's all I wanted to do, not play football. So, when the final bell rang and Niall ran out of the classroom, I followed him. Of course, he's allot smaller and people just kind of move out of his way, where when I walk down the hall it's like I'm my own parade. Yeah, I'm good at football and have led our team to championships for the past two years, but that doesn't mean I want everyone to stop me and talk to me or try to get to know me. I'm not that great of a person, in fact, I'm an ass hole that did something horrible to his boyfriend without even knowing it.

I finally got up to the dorm rooms and ran to go change out of my school uniform. I put on some sweats and a jumper, then went straight down the hallway to Niall's room. This time, the door wasn't locked so I just went right in. But, I didn't see a happy Niall when I walked in. I saw him in a bundle of his blankets letting out small squeaks each time there was a clap of thunder or a strike of lightning.

I went straight over to sit on the bed with him, then pulled him into my arms. He clung to me for dear life, shaking and letting out a few whimpers. I never knew he was afraid of storms, but now that I do I'm kind of glad there was one because he seems to have forgotten why he was mad at me.

"I'm here, Niall. It will be over soon." I told him soothingly. He was trembling in my arms with the blankets wrapped around his thin body. I'm actually wondering if he's eaten in the past two days, but that's not what I need to worry about now. Right now, him being completely terrified is what I'm worried most about.

I started thinking of all the ways he usually sooths himself or things that I do that make him comfortable. I pulled one of his little hands off of my shirt and moved his thumb towards his mouth. I've always thought it was the cutest thing he does, even though at our age he should have stopped that long ago. But, when he started sucking on his thumb I felt how relaxed he got just for a little bit. I leaned back against his pillows and started running my hands through his hair.

This reminds me so much of Safaa. She hated bad weather. I was always the only one that could comfort her during a storm, and it was by doing small things like singing different songs or simply putting kisses in her hair. I actually wonder if Niall has the same condition Safaa had. Just being born so premature that his brain didn't develop fully, and that's why he's behind. He's more behind than Safaa, but I can only say that's because he didn't exactly have a loving home to nurture his needs and help him grow up. He's also really small for his age, like she was, so I'm going to say that's probably why Niall is like this. I don't mind at all. He's my Niall no matter what.

After about three hours of holding him and keeping him comforted, the storm let up into a peaceful rain. Outside was pretty dark and dreary, but Niall seemed like he didn't mind the rain at all, compared to the thunder and lightning. I decided to take this as a good time to ask why he has been avoiding me. He was still curled up to me with allot of blankets around him, so I figured he was relaxed enough to where he wouldn't run like he has been.

"Niall, did I do something to make you not want to be around me?" I asked him quietly. Niall stopped sucking his thumb and looked up at me with his blue eyes twinkling with a confused sadness. He shook his head and continued to look at me.

"Niall wants Zayn happy. Zayn is not happy with Niall." He told me, his voice cracking a bit and some tears gathering at the corners of his beautiful eyes. I felt my heart break at the fact this thought went through his head. I leaned in and captured his perfect lips in mine. Niall kissed me back instantly, making my broken heart mend quickly because I knew we would be alright.