Chapter 22

Zayn's POV

I walked back to Niall's room after getting my school uniform on and getting my backpack. But when I walked in and saw there was no sign of the Irish boy even being there, I got a bit confused. I had just told him to wait for me while I got ready. I went to looked in his bathroom to see if he was in there, but came up with nothing. So, I decided to go down to the cafeteria and see if he was already in there for breakfast. I didn't think I took that long to get ready.

On my way down, I talked to a few people I had class with and asked if they had seen the boy, but they just told me they hadn't. When I walked into the cafeteria, I looked around for the small boy that seemed to always stick out in a crowd to me, but again I didn't find him.

"Zayn!" Harry's deep voice yelled across the room. I saw that most of my team mates were sitting at the table Niall and I sit at, but Niall was missing from the picture. I walked over to him and set my stuff down, but felt a bit uneasy about loosing track of my boyfriend. I thought he was alright to be left alone for a few minutes while I got ready, I guess I thought wrong.

"Where's Niall?" Harry asked me after he looked around for the boy, just like I was. His green eyes met mine and he looked a bit worried about something.

"Did you two...?" He asked me, trailing off on the last part, making me understand that he was asking if we broke up. No, it's something even stupider than that. I lost him and don't know where he wondered off to.

"No, no, we're fine. I don't know where he is though. I'm going to class to see if he just went there. I'll catch you later." I told him and stood up. His big hand wrapped around my wrist and put a muffin in my hand, giving me a small smile.

"I forgot that Liam wasn't here anymore and got him a muffin like I do every morning. Give it to Niall." He told me, then turned away from me to talk to some of the other boys on the team.

I was so worried about not knowing where Niall was that I never truly took time to realize that today was going to be our first day of school without Liam. This isn't going to be a good day, I can already tell that by how it has started, but I know I'll make it through the day somehow. I just need to find Niall so I can be happier than I am now because of Harry's nice little reminder I don't have my best friend here anymore.

The bell had just rang when I walked into Mr.Cowell's classroom and I immediately saw Niall sitting there, just looking out the window, but I couldn't help but notice that his face had red botches on it and his eyes were red rimmed. I started to go over to where he sat in the back of the classroom, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"You've already done enough, Malik. Give him space." Mr.Cowell told me quietly and sadly form behind me. I turned and looked at him with a confused look on my face, probably making myself look stupid, but he just gave me a sad smile and pulled me over to his desk.

"Did you finish the books I gave you to read over spring break?" He asked me, but I felt that he had a guard up with me or that he was trying to keep his cool as he spoke. At the mention of the books, I immediately thought of how I would read them every night to Niall before bed. I got a children's book everyday to read over the break and the only reason I read them was to make Niall happy. Sure, I forgot a few times to read them, but he always made me. He would curl up to me, while sucking his thumb, and listen until he fell asleep. I loved every second of that, even if I was stressed the whole break about Liam.

"Yeah, I did. I can give them back after school. I think their still in Niall's suitcase." I said, looking over to Niall, who was now looking around at all the students entering the class. He looked like he had just been crying, but I didn't want to know who made him cry. I was more angry I wasn't there to save him from getting hurt.