Part 2: Chapter 26

"How far out are you?" Robyn asked.

"90 minutes," I said.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm good. I'm not really looking forward to visiting...and I feel terrible for saying that, but-"

"No, I understand. We all understand and your feelings are valid."

"Eww, you sound like my therapist."

"You still go to therapy?" She questioned.

"No, I stopped a while back."

"Oh." She sounded disappointed.

"Did you stop going for good or is it temporary?"

"I don't know," I laughed nervously.

"Mommy, I have to pee!" Royce yelled from the back seat.

"I gotta go but I'll talk to you."

"Ok, drive safe Asha."

"Yep."

We hung up and I looked for an exit that had a gas station or some restaurants.

.....

We soon arrived at Robyn's place since she insisted that we could stay with her. I didn't mind, but I knew how I feel about people in my space, so I didn't want to be a burden.

Robyn was in the driveway before I even pulled up. When I put the car in park, she practically dragged me out of it and engulfed me in a tight hug. I squeezed her back just as tight. She then ran around to open Royce's door. I heard a bunch of small giggles, which made me smile. I grabbed our bags and walked around to see them still talking.

"I'll help you," Robyn said taking some of the bags.

I told Royce to unbuckle herself and she did as she was told. Robyn helped her out of the car and closed the door after her.

"Are you sure we can stay here?"

"Girl please, you're family. Don't be ridiculous. You're not staying in no hotel."

Robyn showed us to our room. She had two spare rooms and asked me beforehand if we wanted both, but I said one was fine. Royce always sleeps with me anyway. After getting settled, Royce and I went downstairs to see Robyn taking food out of the oven. Since we got on the road right after Royce finished school today, we haven't had dinner yet.

We all ate and I gave Royce a bath before tucking her into bed and heading down the hall to talk to Robyn.

"You wanna hit?"

"Yea," I nodded. We passed a blunt back and forth.

"Mama Iris know I'm here?" I broke the silence.

"No, a surprise is better. We can go by there tomorrow. You leave on Sunday right?"

"Yea, Sunday afternoon."

Robyn frowned, "Why so short? That's only two days babe."

"I just enrolled Royce into preschool and I don't want her to miss any days." I blew out a cloud of smoke feeling relaxed.

"My baby Imani started preschool!?"

"Yep," I laughed. "And she hated the first two days, but especially the first.

"How did it go? What was it like for her?"

"Her teacher said she barely talked the first two days. She completed all her little assignments though. She showed me the drawings that she colored. It was cute, but I felt bad leaving her there; you should've saw her face. I've never seen her act like that. Usually she's such a calm little thing, but she threw a fit if I've ever seen one. If you ask her about it, she blames mommy."