Part 2: Chapter 41

Yesterday, I ended up sleeping for the rest of the night. I woke up before Royce and took the opportunity to get ready while she was not in my way. I brushed my teeth, took a shower, and got dressed for the day. I slicked my hair back in a low ponytail and defined my curls. When I was done, Royce still wasn't up so I left her in the room.

I walked towards the kitchen, but no one was there. It did smell like coffee so somebody was up.

"My mom is still sleep, but dad is out back," a voice spoke up.

"Hey Remi," I said turning to her.

"Hey."

"You look different from the last time we ran into each other."

"I cut my hair," she said.

"I noticed. It looks good on you."

"Thanks. And you look really pretty." I thanked her for the compliment and was about to head towards the back door when she stopped me.

"Wait," she held her hands out, but stopped herself from touching me.

"No hard feelings right? I apologize for what I did. I should've thought my plan through instead of just showing up and being a creep. You had every right to cuss me out and threaten to call the cops on me," she said.

"I get what you were trying to do, but the way you went about it was hella suspicious. A simple 'hey, how are you,' would have been a lot better. And I would have responded a lot better too."

"I know that now, and I'm sorry."

"It's cool. No hard feelings," I smiled at her. She kind of reminded me of myself when I was her age. I'm not that much older than her, but still.

"MOMMY!!! I stopped what I was doing and made my way back to the room. When I opened the door, Royce was sitting up.

"What's wrong?"

"I have to pee," she whined.

"Ok. Come on." She slid off of the bed and I took her to the bathroom. She was pretty much up now, so she took a quick shower and I did her hair just like mine, as she so loudly requested. I dressed her in something simple—a brown long-sleeved sweatshirt that had spoiled written in white letters across the front of it, brown biker shorts, and matching white sneakers. She was indeed my twin.

I tried not to laugh as she looked at herself in the mirror.

"I look like you mommy," she said.

"That's what you wanted right?"

"Yes," she giggled.

"When you're done looking at yourself, let's go. We've been in here long enough." It was now almost noon. Remi was nowhere to be found, so we walked out of the house and into the backyard. There was Latin music playing from a speaker and my dad was on the grill.

My dad was technically a mix of a bunch of things, but he considered himself to be Black, because he was Black. From what I remember, he said his father was Black and his mom Puerto Rican. I told him to take a DNA test if he wanted to know the specifics of his ethnic background, but he just shrugged it off. Trina is mixed herself, but with just black and white. She is one of them types that grew up privileged, and I think I read that her father was a doctor and her mother a lawyer. And, my dad may or may not have accidentally told me that Trina's parents disowned her when she got pregnant with Uriah. But that's none of my business and I wouldn't dare bring it up.

They definitely made some racially ambiguous children, I'll tell you that.

"Asha! Come dance."

"Oh no. I don't really dance."