Part 2: Chapter 33

⚠️⚠️This is about to be some heavy shit—emotional/sensitive content and a lot of drama ahead. ⚠️⚠️

.....

"Are you going to take me to my car or not?"

"I don't feel right about this. The look in your eye is making me feel some type of way." We had yet to leave the parking lot of the restaurant and I was getting annoyed.

"I'm asking you to take me back to my car and you can't do that?"

"What are you going to do? What did Raymond say?"

"Why does it matter?"

"Why wouldn't it matter? I care about you and I—"
Instead of listening to her, I opened the door and got out the car. I had one thing on my mind and sitting in this car going back and forth with Briana wasn't it.

"You're not thinking clearly and I'm supposed to just let you do whatever you want!" She yelled after me.

"Asha!" I continued walking.

"This shit is childish."

"Briana, I'm not trying to argue with you. Just take me back to my car. That's all I'm asking."

"Okay, okay. I will, just stop walking away from me." I turned around and stormed back to her. I gave people dirty looks as they watched me. I got back in the car and she did the same. She pulled off soon after.

"Just tell me what your dad said on the phone that got you so upset."

"It wasn't necessarily what he said," I mumbled.

"Then what was it?"

"I just need to go get back what was taken from me," was all I said.

"I still don't know what that means. Talk to me Asha."

"Raymond wrote me letters from jail. He had them sent to the house, but I never got a single one. I didn't even know about them until today. That sneaky heffa hid them from me. She took them. I just know she did, so I'm getting them back."

"Your mom?"

"Yes," I said.

"Asha—"

"I don't wanna hear it, I'm getting them today and I'd appreciate it if we went back to your place so I could get my car."

"I'll go with you."

"No," I said.

"Why not? I can help—"

"Every time I think I'm done with Kennedy and my mom, they somehow find a way back into my life and I hate it. I'm annoyed, I'm angry, and I'm done talking." I sat quietly for the rest of the ride. I was so deep in thought that I didn't realize that we weren't heading back to her place until the last minute. It wasn't until we turned down a familiar street that I got heated and opened the door. Briana slammed on the brakes and I took off my seatbelt, grabbing my purse.

"Are you crazy!"

"I guess you didn't hear a word I said."

"You are out of your damn mind! What if your mom doesn't have them? What if she threw them away a long time ago? What if there were no letters to begin with, then what? That look in your eye is only going to get you in trouble."

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"They're just letters!"

"No they're not! They are proof that he tried, that my father tried to be there for me. But, you wouldn't understand. You grew up with two loving parents in one household. Those letters would mean more to me than anything, and maybe I could finally let go of all this hate that's been festering inside of me since I was a kid."