Part 2: Chapter 49

Within the span of a week, Maggie had Earl cremated—no funeral service or funeral arrangements at all. Everything felt so rushed to me. But, Maggie said that she didn't want to prolong the process. Cremation is also just easier and a lot cheaper than a burial or a standard funeral service, so I understood her reasoning. She did have a small gathering at the house where she invited all of their loved ones and close friends.

I helped as much as I could, but now it's time for me to go home. I've only seen Remi and Imani once this whole week, and that was only to pack some clothes. Since I've been gone so much, I try to talk to Royce at least twice a day—once in the morning when she gets ready for school and once at night before she goes to bed. I've never actually been away from her for this long, so the separation is killing me. I do worry a lot, but I wouldn't be here if I thought that Remi wasn't capable of watching her. And I owe her big time, especially with how many hours she's been missing at work.

I said bye to Maggie and got on the road. I should make it back just in time to pick Royce up from school.

Some hours later, I actually arrived earlier than I expected. Instead of going straight to Royce's school, I went home and took a shower. I threw on something nice for Royce and I even did my hair. I was on my way out the door when Remi called me.

"Yes Remi," I said answering the phone.

"You're picking up Imani from school right?" She asked.

"Yes. I told you that earlier when we talked on the phone."

"I know. I'm just making sure."

"No, you're good. I'll see you later."

"Ok."

I hung up and went out the front door. I locked it behind me and made my way to the car. All I've been doing is driving lately, and I'm so damn tired. I honestly think that I'm coming down with a fever. And it doesn't help that I've barely been eating and sleeping. Starting today though, I hope to get back on my normal routine.

I made it to the school right on time. I got out and went inside the small building. The lady at the front desk gave me a once-over and frowned. "Is something wrong?" She spoke up. Even though her question was directed at me, I still looked around to make sure that she was actually talking to me.

"Umm, I don't think so. I'm just here to pick up Imani."

"Yes, but she's not here. Someone already came to get her."

"Someone? Who? When?"

"Ten minutes before dismissal. It was a lady. She said she was your sister. She gave your full name, your number, and her identification."

I immediately called Remi.

"I can't talk. I'll call you—"

"Remi! Where is Imani!"

"Why are you yelling at me? I'm at work. I-I dropped her off at school this morning like you told me to."

"Well, they said she's not here. They said my sister picked her up ten minutes before dismissal."

"I-I...I'm at work. I don't know. I did what you told me to do. I didn't pick her up Asha. I don't—" I hung up in her face.

"Are you sure?" I asked the lady.

"You can go check," she said. I ran to Imani's classroom. There were a bunch of parents picking up their kids, but no Imani. I spotted one of her teachers and stormed up to her.