Part 2: Chapter 47

I got news from Earl's wife, Maggie, that Earl was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a year ago, and it has since progressed to stage 4. Apparently, it has gotten so bad that he had to be hospitalized. They thought he would recover because it looked like it was getting better. But, Maggie said things turned bad really fast, and now the chemo treatments aren't working. Maggie made it seem like Earl only has a few more months at best. And, if that's true, I'll be devastated. When I talked to Maggie on the phone, she sounded like she was barely keeping it together. I felt so bad listening to her try to explain everything to me.

Her and Earl were high school sweethearts. They've been in love practically their whole lives, and it breaks my heart to know that they're now suffering. And I can't do anything about it except be there for both of them. I've been talking to Maggie for the past few days and I really want to go visit Earl in the hospital, but I just got back from Briana's party last weekend. Luckily, the hospital that Earl was sent to is only two hours away. But, until I can make time to go, I'll just stick to calling everyday, multiple times a day.

I looked down at Royce as her snoring got the tiniest  bit louder. We were supposed to be watching a movie, or more like it was watching us. She fell asleep on me two movies ago, but I couldn't blame her because it was way past her bed time.

There was a knock at the door, so I got up to go check it. I looked through the peephole and it was Remi. I opened the door confused.

"Why are you knocking on the door when I gave you a key?"

"I can't find my key," she stumbled past me. I closed the door and locked it. She walked further into the house, swaying every so often.

"Are you drunk?" I asked her. She turned to me and nodded.

"Who were you with?"

"Some people I met from my job," she said. Damn, that was fast. Remi just started working at the restaurant this week. It must be nice to be able to make friends so easily. But Remi has the type of personality where people are just drawn to her carefree attitude anyway. I was never like that.

"Wasn't this your first week?"

"Yep, and I was invited to a party."

"And that's where you were?"

"Yep," she took a breath and swayed into the living room. I watched her closely. I wasn't sure how much she had to drink, but definitely enough for her not to be able to drive.

"Who dropped you off?" I asked.

"This girl I went to the party with." Remi plopped down on the couch next to Royce, but I don't think she actually saw Royce because she came way too close to landing on her head.

"Damn, Remi."

"Oops, my fault. I didn't see her."

"It's cool. I'm about to take her upstairs anyway." I took the blanket off Royce and lifted her up. I started towards the hall when I turned to face Remi.

"Did you really lose your key? I'll have another one made if you did, but you need to be more careful."

"I think I just misplaced it here. I put the key with my actual car keys, but I didn't drive to the party so they must be here. I'll look for them in the morning," she said.

"Ok. Well, when you go upstairs make sure you turn off both the lights and the TV for me."

"Yes ma'am."

"I told you not to call me that."

"I only call you that when you start acting like mama bear." I rolled my eyes.