Part 3: Chapter 52

Asha sat by the window, looking out of it. She hadn't moved from her spot in hours, just watching as the time slowly ticked by. She thought about Imani and the vow she would make once her baby was safe in her arms—she would promise to never leave her side again and they would run away together. They would go somewhere far far away from Georgia altogether, if not on the other side of the country then maybe overseas. Asha would find a new job, one where she could work from home and homeschool Royce at the same time. Asha would use the money she saved up and move them to a small house, preferably one close to a beach. Asha always dreamed of going to the beach when she was younger, so this would be the perfect opportunity for both her and Royce to start over and make new memories.

Asha smiled softly at the thought, but quickly stilled her face at hearing the door open. She sighed, knowing that it was only someone checking to make sure that she hadn't slit her wrists.

She didn't acknowledge whoever was at the door, only kept her gaze out the window.

"Mommy?" Asha froze, taking a deep breath.

'I'm only hearing things,' she tried to convince herself seeing as this wouldn't be the first time that she has heard Imani's voice calling out to her. Only, it's always just her mind playing tricks on her.

"Mommy." But, it sounded all too real. Asha couldn't help it. She jumped up at the sound of the tiny voice and slowly turned to face the door.

"Imani?" Asha didn't know what she would do if this was just another one of her auditory hallucinations.

"Mommy." Asha snapped her eyes up to the door frame and followed the edges of the wood until they landed on a small child. Asha gasped and stumbled forward.

"I'm not hallucinating?" She asked in disbelief, staring at her daughter. Imani looked exactly the same from the last time she saw her, not a single hair out of place. Overcome with joy, Asha dropped to her knees. "Baby come here."

At Asha's open invitation, Imani wasted no time and ran towards her mother's arms. "Mommy!" Imani squealed in excitement.

"Oh my god," Asha closed her eyes with full intentions of hugging her daughter tight and never letting go. She wanted to savor every moment of their reunion, so she braced for the impact...but unfortunately it never came.

"Imani, it's okay. I love you so much. Come—" Asha stopped mid-sentence when she opened her eyes to an empty room. She quickly wiped her eyes and stood up.

"Imani?" She frantically searched the room with her eyes.

"Imani, where are you?" Asha yanked open the room door, but there was nothing but complete darkness on the other side. She tried to leave, but it was like her body weighed a ton and she couldn't lift her legs. She started panicking.

"Wait...please, bring her back. I'll do anything," she pleaded with absolutely no one. It was just her, all alone in the darkness.

"Please!" She started hyperventilating, desperately trying to get her legs to work.

"Please, I—" she jumped at feeling a hand on her shoulder.

"Asha!" Her eyes snapped open at hearing her name. But feeling lightheaded, they quickly began to glaze over once more.

"Asha breathe," Briana hovered over her friend in sheer panic. Asha herself started panicking once she realized that her chest wouldn't expand to take in any oxygen.

"You're not breathing. Open your damn mouth and breathe!" Briana yelled. The second Asha opened her mouth to say something, her lungs kicked in and started taking in large gulps of air.