Part 1: Chapter 10

"What happened this morning?" Ashanti, Briana, and April stood next to my locker criticizing me.

"Girl you look like you got run over by a bus," April said.

"Yea, you look like shit," Ashanti chimed in. I just rolled my eyes. If only they knew just how bad my morning was.

"I didn't get much sleep last night and I overslept this morning." It wasn't a complete lie.

"Is that all?" April questioned.

"Yea, I mean cause first I find you in the bathroom spilling your guts, then you blow it off and say you ate something bad, and now you come to school looking like death. You missed two classes, basically half the day by the way. If it wasn't for me-"

"What Briana? You want me to say thank you for saving my ass this morning. Just stop," I said slamming my locker.

"Now, hold up. She just looking out for a friend. Ain't no need to be rude," Ashanti said folding her arms across her chest. I took a deep breath. I ain't mean to get so defensive. They just questioning me too much. They ask questions that I just can't answer right now. I don't want to keep lying to them, but I also don't want them all up in my business. It's not worth bringing them into my fucked up life.

"Are you pregnant?" April asked looking me up and down suspiciously. "I ain't think you got down like that but shit happens."

"No, I'm not pregnant. Look, I'm sorry y'all. I-I just...I'm struggling right now and I don't know how to fix it," I confess.

"Everything will be fine if I can just make it to my eighteenth birthday," I continued.

"What do you mean? I don't understand," Briana said. They all looked at me confused.

"Nothin I-" My sentence got cut off by the bell. "I gotta go to class," I said going around them and walking off to get to my next class.

.....

"You got work right?" I just nodded my head.

"You have plans this weekend?"

"Homework," I responded.

"All weekend?" Briana pouted.

"You can do homework at my house."

"Is your brother having another party?" I asked raising a brow.

"No." I looked to her as she gave me the puppy dog eyes. She better be lucky she cute.

"I'll think about it but now I gotta get to work. I'll see you later." I went to walk away when she grabbed my hand.

"I know we haven't known each other for long, but you know you can talk to me right." I only smiled.

"I gotta go," I said before leaving.

I made it to work on time. I decided to work extra shifts, so my day seemed like it would never end. By the time my shift was over, it was really late and I was exhausted. The type of exhausted where I was feeling lightheaded. It's worse cuz of the morning I had. I regret what I did in the moment. It was stupid of me and now I'm suffering the consequences. I gripped the counter to steady myself.

"Uhhh, are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine just a slight headache," I mumbled.

"Are you sure?"

"Nope," I laughed uncomfortably. I slid around the counter to grab a glass of water. I downed it, and then another. "But I'll be fine, always am for some reason," I said bitterly before walking around Joanne. I clocked out and grabbed my stuff. It was so dark out, but I had to get home. I was sick to my stomach and just wanted to lay down. I needed to hurry home before I passed out on the side of the road.

I was walking down the street to the bus stop when a car pulled up next to me. I waved whoever it was off. I was in no mood to get harassed by a stranger. Nor was I in the mood to get snatched. They could try all they wanted, but no matter how sick I was, I would put up the fight of my life.

"Asha?"

My head snapped in the direction of the voice. My eyes widened at seeing Cairo. I stopped in my tracks.

"What are you-"

"Where you goin? I'll take you."

"No, it's okay, I'm taking the bus," I protested.

"Get in. You shouldn't be out here by yourself." I sighed in defeat. I was too tired to argue with him. I hopped in the passenger seat.

"Whatchu doing out here?" he asked.

"I just got off work."

"This late?" he asked.

"Yes, I need the money," I mumbled back. I rested my head against the window and started drifting off.

"Asha, I need your address." My eyes were already extremely heavy. I mumbled my address to him hoping that he understood. Just as fast as I was falling asleep, I felt a hand on my shoulder. At least, it seemed almost instantaneous. I jumped awake.

"I ain't mean to scare you. This your house, right?"

I looked up and to the side. We were parked off to the side. "Yes," was all I said. I went to get out when he grabbed my arm.

"You okay?"

"Yes, thank you. Sorry for inconveniencing you."

"I was on my way home when I saw you. You ain't inconveniencing no one. I don't live too far from where I picked you up from."

I just nodded my head, waiting for him to let me go.

"Asha," he said.

"Yes Cairo."

"We good?" He asked.

"Yes. Thank you again, I gotta go." He let me go and I got out, clutching my stuff to my chest. He pulled off as soon as I slowly opened the front door. I released the breath I was holding and trudged up to my room. I made sure to not make a single noise. When I was in my room, I placed my stuff on the floor, took my clothes off, and fell into bed. I still felt sick to my stomach. It had been a minute since the last time I ate. I was asleep within seconds of my head touching the pillow.