Part 3: Chapter 50

I sat on my bed with my knees to my chest, waiting impatiently as I could hear commotion outside my door. I tried to leave, but Meech wouldn't let me. He told me to stay in the room for a while so that I wouldn't be a distraction to everyone. Of course, I fought him on this, and in return, he put someone at my door to make sure that I stayed put. Not knowing what was going on was driving me insane, but every time I asked to speak to Meech, I was told that he was busy. But I couldn't just sit here. I constantly felt like throwing up, but I had nothing on my stomach to throw up. I needed to be out there helping and not in here falling victim to my intrusive thoughts.

I jumped up when there was a knock at the door. I stood from the bed and rushed over to it, but the door was pushed open before I could get to it. Meech walked in, Remi following closely behind him, crying.

"Where have you been?" I asked her, wiping at my own swollen eyes. She looked down at the floor, avoiding my gaze.

"Remi?" I pulled her further into the room while Meech stood off to the side with a distant look on his face.

"I have something to tell you," she said.

"What is it? Do you know where Imani is?"

"No, but I think I was the reason she was taken," she sniffled.

"How? You didn't even know that this would happen. You're not to blame. It's all my—"

"But, I am to blame."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I met that girl once...but I didn't know who she was. She popped up at the house one day when you were at the hospital and—"

"Kennedy?"

"Yes, but I promise I didn't know who she was. When I asked her what she wanted, she didn't say anything, only looked around. She said she had the wrong house and then left. I closed the door and that was the end of it," she rushed out.

"Did she ask for anything or say anything in particular? What about Imani? Did she see her?"

"No. The whole thing happened so fast. She was gone within a couple of minutes."

"When did this happen?" I started to pace the floor.

"It was when you first started going to the hospital."

I put my fingers to my temples, trying to think. Kennedy was actually here. Kennedy was at my house, and she knew where I lived this whole time. But, how did she find my address and why did she have to stoop so low to get my attention? What does she think she's gonna gain from doing this?

"I wish you would have told me," I said continuing to pace and thumbing my forehead as I could feel a headache forming.

"I didn't think anything of it, and I never saw her again after that."

"Are you sure nothing happened?"

"I swear she didn't say anything, just left. The interaction was so fast that it was like it never happened. The next morning, I took Imani to school and I picked her up—nothing happened. She never came back, so I thought it would be pointless to tell you about it. You have to believe me. I—"