Chapter II: Family

I exit my last class of the day, walking to my locker with Yuna by my side. She seems to be talking to me but my mind is occupied by other things. Jungkook specifically, though I hate to admit it. He said something weird to me today, and I won't seem to stop bothering me.

He told me today that he spoke to Jimin, which I thought would be the end of the conversation, but he continued on to ask me questions about my day. I tried to brush him off, but ever since he stopped me to ask all those questions, he hasn't been treating me the same, asking me in depth questions, trying to get something out of me... Today, I just had to tell him to let me focus on the notes, and he didn't exactly protest, but I can't say the same for the days to come.

"So should we do it together?" Yuna asks, catching my attention.

"What are you talking about?" I ask here, coming back into reality as I slam my locker shut and start walking away.

She sighs, catching up to me. "Come on, the project for Economics! We have to choose partners, and we should work together. We can work at each other's houses if that works with you," she sends me a smile as I walk towards the exit of the school.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with her coming to my house. I'm terrified of what she will think if she even steps foot in there. And I'm sure she'll never talk to me again once she sees all the problems, like Jungkook did. I still live with my parents, so it would be awkward for her to come over and my father start yelling at me as he typically does first thing when walking in the door. So I don't think Yuna can't come... for today at least.

I shake my head. "Not today. I'm busy with some other work. Maybe another time," I say, sending her a forced half smile, before continuing to walk outside the doors.

"Oh, alright," she says, but this time she doesn't follow after me. I feel slightly bad for rejecting heart offer, that was only meant to be kind, but there's nothing I can do. I mean I'm not going to try and explain why she can't come over to my house because I don't want to scare her off... I don't see a point in that, and I don't feel like spilling my life story. As long as she doesn't have to know about it, our relationship is safer.

Despite my bad feelings, I try to rationalize my stern behavior and know that I didn't ask Yuna to follow me around, and I am not obligated to reciprocate anything. Though I know her intentions are good, hopefully, I still don't feel comfortable sharing anything. And I have to remember that it's okay not to share everything with her, and one day she'll understand that.

My family is broken. There's no love there anymore, and I can't let anyone see that. It's hard enough for me to experience it every single day, knowing that no one loves me enough to show me the affection I never got, and I can't let Yuna feel that either. I also can't let her think I'm incapable of being that way, otherwise I'll scare her off. As much as I get annoyed with her, she's the only one that pursues and stays. Her, and Jungkook... Until he proved himself to be unworthy of being in my life when he hurt me like he did.

On my way out, I walk past the people standing there and head to my car, quickly getting inside to avoid any random conversation. Especially with any of Jungkook's friends, since they can be complete jackasses and lacking a brain. They don't talk to me often but there always loud at pointing me out if I'm nearby. I pull out of my parking spot, getting around to the front of building and starting to drive off. At the corner of my eye, I see a man start walking and then onto the road where I'm driving. I stop my car abruptly, jolting forward.

"What the fuck?!" I yell out, honking my horn. I look up and Jeon Jungkook is staring right at me with those doe eyes of his, and he waves subtly. I immediately jump out of my car, enraged. "What the hell was that, I could've fucking hit you!" I yell at the boy in front of me.