Chapter 27

“Okay, girl, we need a shopping day!” Danielle’s voice crackled over my phone. Bad reception or something.

“I agree! I miss you and El, I haven’t seen you in forever! Plus, I want you to meet my new drummer, Riley!”

“Well… we’re actually in town right now! What do you say we meet at the South Complex and you can feel free to bring Riley. If you like her, I’m sure she’s awesome!”

“She is,” I grinned, thinking of how she’d compelled me into taking action against the Wicked Witch of California. “And great. How does an hour sound?”

“Perfect. See you then!”

“See ya!” I clicked end and texted Riley, telling her what was up. Soon enough, she texted me back saying she’d be ready.

“Hey, dad, I’m going out with Danielle, El, and Riley. We’re going to the mall,” I informed Simon on my way out.

“Sounds good. What do you say I handle the Emily thing while you’re out? Hopefully we can keep it from turning messy that way.”

“Thank you,” I grinned. What a great day this was going to be.

“Of course,” he wrapped me in a hug.

I climbed into the taxi and sent it onto Riley’s place. She was outside waiting when we arrived, then we sent it on to the South Complex.

“Still taking a taxi everywhere, I see…” she mused.

“Hey. I’ve been a little busy,” I defended myself.

“Driving isn’t that hard, Aby.”

“It is when you lot drive on the wrong side of the road,” I scoffed.

“I think you’ll find that we drive on the right side of the road. It is you American’s who are wrong in their driving,” she replied disdainfully.

“You wish. See, we drive on the right side of the road, thus making us, well… right. You drive on the left, which is not the right side of the road. If it’s not the right side, then it’s the wrong side. You’re wrong and confusing, and thus I spend a fortune on taxi rides.”

She threw her hands up in surrender. “Clearly, I can’t make you see reason.”

We paid and tipped the taxi driver and stepped out into the cold sunshine. “There!” I squealed as I saw Dani and El waiting inside the mall.

“Hi, girls!” I greeted them.  We hugged and I introduced Riley to them. Of course, being the sociable girls we were, everyone was friends before we even hit the first shop. Already, Riley and Dani were exchanging stories about exes and ridiculous dates. El and I were too far in stitches laughing at their recounts to give any of our own.

“And then, this guy in a bird suit just appears behind me, scared the crap out of me, and he has this box of chocolates. Well, Dave insisted that I try one, so I did, and the center of it tasted like a weird mix of cherries and toothpaste,” Dani laughs, “he said it was a mix he’d developed himself and he was sure I’d love it. That was the last date, he was just too weird. Had a weird obsession with birds and just gave me the creeps, especially after that.”

El grabbed my arm and choked out, “God, even though I’ve heard that one before it gets me every time. I can’t stand, hold on you guys.” She pulled me down to a nearby bench, doubling over in laughter.

I patted her back gently. “Careful, don’t die on us. I don’t want to face the wrath of Louis if I let you die.”

“I’m good, I’m good,” she straightened up.