Chapter 14

Louis’ mouth dropped open and he looked back at me, much less subtle this time. He quirked an eyebrow at me and I shook my head desperately, the tears already beginning to come and probably ruin my makeup. He understood immediately and his entire body language shifted to convey remorse and guilt.

“I didn’t know you had a girlfriend, Niall,” he said slowly, trying to tell me he didn’t know either. “What’s her name, huh?” He asked nudging him, trying to keep it lighthearted so the fans won’t know anything’s wrong.

“We’ve only just begun dating and I really don’t want things to get ruined so quickly because of the press and fans and everything,” he turned to face the audience, “please understand and respect that.”

The roar was deafening. Loud enough that I felt it was okay to let out a couple of the sobs that were building up inside of me.

“Well, come on, Lou, let’s get on with the show!” Niall was happier than I’d ever seen him, oblivious to my heart breaking behind him.

Louis looked back at me and I composed myself, getting ready to go out there and sing anyway. They do say that the show must go on, after all.

“Well sometimes, I go out by myself. And I look across the water. And I think of all the things, what you’re doing, and in my head I paint a picture,” Louis sang perfectly.

My turn.

“Oh, since I’ve come on home,” I stepped out onto the stage, walking towards Louis while singing. The crowd screamed. “Well my body’s been a mess, and I’ve missed your ginger hair and the way you like to dress.

“Won’t you come on over,” he joined me. “Stop makin’ a fool out of me, yeah why don’t you come on over Valerie?”

Our harmonies were tight, and the audience loved it. He wrapped me up in a hug and tugged my in-ear out to speak in my ear.

“I’m so sorry, babe. I didn’t even know.”

“It’s fine,” I said back. “How could you have?” I faked a smile, but the look on his face told me he knew better.

“Thank you, One Direction for letting me sing with you! Your fans are awesome!” I yelled into the microphone and the fans went nuts.

“I know, they’re the best, aren’t they?” Harry said into his mic.

“Um, I think the few I have are better, but, ya know, whatever you think you disillusioned boy,” I teased. The crowd roared again, clearly getting a kick out of the banter.

“It’s five against one, Abriella. I suggest you leave it,” Zayn commented.

“More like twenty five thousand against one,” Liam joined, gesturing to the crowd.

“It could be twenty five thousand against four… you never know!” I countered, peering into the crowd like I was looking for my fans. “Well, regardless, I must leave now! Sad, I know! I love you all!”