Chapter 12

It was three days until I was to leave for America. Management had gotten me a few more free gigs around the country on top of the one in my hometown. I had free shows in New York, Florida being sponsored by local radio stations who were giving away the tickets as a contest for their listeners.

Somehow, despite all this, everybody was still managing to keep it a secret from Niall. The other lads knew, but they were taking measures to insure that I could surprise him. Since he had interrupted our conversation before they left, Louis had taken it upon himself to find out what Niall was going to ask me and was slowly making progress.

I had written a couple more songs and was recording some covers as well. One of my favorites was Lego House by Ed Sheeran. I just loved his music. And no, despite being really close with One Direction, I hadn’t met him yet.

My phone began to ring. I answered it without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Abriella!” my manager chirped.

“Oh, hi, Becky! What’s up?”

“I need to meet with you regarding some details about your trip.”

“Ooook,” I replied. “Your office in twenty minutes?”

“Yeah, sounds good,” she answered.

I tossed my phone next to my guitar on my bed and stared at it. Last minute details? I thought we’d smoothed everything out. I knew my flight numbers, times, transfers, seat number, everything. I even already knew the license plates of all cars that would be used to transport me and when, the names of the drivers. Everything there was to know, I honestly already either had memorized or written down in a notebook.

I spent the next 20 minute walk thinking about what Becky could possibly need to talk to me about this late in the game.

When I arrived at her office, I sat down silently in the chair opposite her desk as she was on the phone.

“Right. I understand. Yes, she just came in now. Mhmm,” she was talking to the person on the other side. “Yes sir, of course I’ll make sure she understands as well.” Clearly it was someone higher up than her. “No, of course. I can handle it, I promise,” she said, sounding really anxious. “There’s no need to worry. I’ve got to go, sir, she’s here. Yes. Goodbye,” Becky finished.

She let out an exasperated sigh. “Ugh, those higher-ups just can’t trust me!”

I smiled sympathetically.

“Anyhow, so, what I needed to talk to you about…” she nervously shuffled papers around her desk, searching for something. “Well, how are you feeling about your set?”

“Good, I’ve been practicing practically nonstop!”

“Yeah? What else are you excited about?”

“I’m super happy that I’m going home first. I’m psyched to see Emily again, it’s gonna be a blast. I’ve got like, three days to spend with her, right?”