Chapter 9

“Hello, Miss Cowell. We understand that you’ve been looking into getting a manager for your upcoming business?”

“Yes, and I know you’re company has some great managers under their employment.”

“Yes we do,” the man in the crisp navy-blue suit replied.

“So, why should I hire one of them? Why should I go with your company, as opposed to one of your competitors who is interested?” I inquired, as per usual.

The man smiled sweetly at me. Oh dear God, here it comes. The apology, kind intro, blunt refusal, and positive finish. The typical denial. Not again. Not when I had so much hope.

“Miss Cowell, oh, do you mind if I call you Abriella?”

I shook my head blankly.

“Abriella. There are no competitors.”

My mind numbed. How could they possibly know about my difficulty in procuring a manager?

“We know this, because nobody wants to manage an act sign to Simon Cowell’s record label.”

I dropped my gaze to the floor. This was even more blunt than usual. Here he was, laying out all my fears before me.

“Nobody except Modest Management.”

My heart skipped a beat as my eyes shot straight back to his face. Was he saying they would sign me?

“You see, all the acts we enter into a contract with become famous. Maybe only within the UK, maybe worldwide. Either way, we hold ourselves to as high a standard as Simon Cowell holds us, and because of that, we will manage you. To be honest, you don’t have any other options unless you can find an undiscovered manager who wants to make it big but only has experience managing birthday clowns in towns with 400 people.”

I nodded.

“Good, I’m glad you understand. Now, the reason all the acts we manage are so successful is because of our level of professionalism. We know the market you are entering into, and we know how best to spread the word of you, get your career going, and then keep it intact.”

“Sounds like you know what you’re doing,” I mused.

“We have quite a few acts under our belt. I believe you’re very familiar with one of them… One Direction?”

“Yes, I am rather familiar with them.”

“Well, not many people know this, actually only the boys, Syco, and our people know this, but they’re about to break America. Next week, actually, What Makes You Beautiful will be released there. All major radio stations are on board with them, and the fans will follow. This is because they let us help them.”

“Hmm. I’ll let you guys know soon, alright?” I stood up, grasping my handbag and extending my arm to shake hands.