Chapter Twenty-Three: The Melee

Merlyn was dreading the day with everything within her. Despite waking in her lover's arms, she felt her fear raising. There were so many unknowns. So much she couldn't do – after the debacle of last night, Merlyn knew that there were eyes upon her. Rumours flew around the castle faster than the cook could skin a rabbit. Any movement from her towards Sir Oswald or Sir Ethan would be noticed. There was nothing she could do but fret.

With her nerves frayed, Merlyn went through her morning routine of getting everything ready for the day. With breakfast over and preparation beginning, Merlyn was setting out each piece of Arthur's armour all the while the man in question was steadying himself for the fight. The silence was tortuous for they both knew the danger Arthur was going to face.

Suddenly, Arthur's chamber door flew open without warning. There was only one man who had the right to do that. Merlyn quickly straightened up and bowed her head as she turned to the door to find the king waltzing into the room, carrying a long item wrapped in a blanket. There was a cheer in his step – Uther always did love tournaments where his achievements could be shown off. Completely ignoring Merlyn, Uther moved towards his son who was stood at the end of his bed.

"Ah. I trust you're ready for the challenge?" Uther stated. Merlyn couldn't help but sigh quietly. She really didn't want Arthur going into this tournament. For a moment, it suddenly seemed like Arthur had heard her faint wish.

"I wish to withdraw from the melee, Father." Merlyn's jaw fell open and her head snapped over to Arthur. He was keeping his promise.

"You wish to withdraw?" Uther said slowly and carefully. Merlyn could not see the king's face but she knew it would be one of thunder.

"Yes Father" Arthur repeated. Merlyn wasn't sure what was going on. After a moment of silence and tension that had Merlyn intentionally keeping her breathing as quiet as possible, the king moved forward.

"I came to bring you this. I won my first melee with this blade" Uther said as he unwrapped the blade from the blanket. Its age was clear to see even from Merlyn's position. "The edge has been dulled it's perfectly safe." Uther was completely ignoring Arthur's request; acting as if the question never happened. "All of Camelot is eager for a victory today, Arthur. I know you won't let me down." Uther handed Arthur the blade without another word, but they all knew what was happening. Uther had spoken with such strength and authority that only a fool would be idiotic enough to go against his wishes. Uther wanted Arthur to fight. So, Arthur was to fight.

"Yes Father" Arthur replied as he bowed his head in understanding. Uther left the chambers, his feet slamming into the ground. Merlyn lifted her gaze to Arthur and watched as the man studied the blade, undeterred by what had occurred. Both father and son were acting like nothing had happened, leaving Merlyn to fumble about in the darkness.

"You tried to withdraw" Merlyn said as she finally found her voice. Leaving behind the armour that lay on the table, Merlyn moved towards Arthur as he too made his way towards her. With a final run of his hand along the blunt sword's edge he placed it on the table with his scabbard.

"I made a promise. I fulfilled my promise" Arthur answered softly as he kept his attention on his armour. Merlyn knew the right question would be to ask who he was talking about but instead Merlyn felt her heart drop and her blood boil as she realised what Arthur had down.

"You knew he wouldn't let you withdraw" she whispered into the silent chamber. Arthur did not flinch. Merlyn felt so foolish. How had she not seen Arthur's plan?

"I still asked meaning I filled my half of the promise" Arthur said as he lifted his gaze up to meet Merlyn's eyes. The determination in them said it all. He had fulfilled his promise and Merlyn had to fulfil hers, she had to protect herself which meant not doing anything stupid or revealing herself as Emrys. If Merlyn had stopped and took a moment to think she would have realised how Arthur was acting as if "Merlyn" was the one he had promised to (not Emrys) but her fear and worry clouded her better judgement.