Chapter Seven: Its Dangerous To Follow An Enemy

Anna's words were echoing around Merlyn's head. To know that Morgana was indeed the one who was targeting Uther was not surprising but complicated. Now Merlyn just had to catch the witch in the act. With night having fallen, Merlyn found herself spying on the Lady Morgana's chambers once more - ever since Anna had revealed that Morgana had mandrake root Merlyn had been trying to catch Morgana. She knew the Lady would leave at some point to go wherever she was going to re-enchant the mandrake root.

That night it was Merlyn's lucky night. Morgana's chamber door opened and the Lady herself came out dressed in her royal purple dress with silver embroidery. A beautiful yet deceitful person. As Morgana made her way through the castle avoiding all of the guards and knights on patrol, Merlyn followed close behind, frustrated that her movements weren't as fast or as quiet as she would have liked due to her healing wound. She followed through the Lower Town and into the forest that surrounded Camelot. Merlyn watched as Morgana stopped within an open area of the woods surrounded by trees, waiting for something ... or someone. Merlyn narrowed her eyes as she moved through the trees and hid herself behind fallen trees and mounds of dirt that had made a lower level of the forest that would keep her hidden.

Soon enough the sound of hooves stepping on twigs could be heard. Peeking up from her hiding place Merlyn saw three horses, one was a white horse with a knight sat a top. A knight with long blonde hair. Merlyn knew who that was. It was Morgause.

Merlyn knew they were in league with each other but now it was confirmed before her. Morgause had turned Morgana's heart and was still pulling the strings behind the scenes. It now made sense why Morgana was using mandrake root - she'd found herself a teacher.

Quickly, Morgause was jumping off her horse and making her way to Morgana. Both were relieved to see the other.

"Sorry you had to wait. There was much to discuss" Morgause apologised as she took the Lady's hands in her own.

"But your visit was successful?" Morgana asked.

"Cenred's army ride for Camelot on my command." That was not good news. Cenred was building an army and he was using it to attack Camelot. Merlyn had to get the news to Arthur.

"There is nothing you can not do" Morgana spoke with such sincerity.

"It is you that gives me strength, sister." And there it was, the bond that had formed between the two women. Morgana idolised Morgause, and Morgause knew Morgana had the power and position to help her alongside being her sister. They fought for one another, Morgause had truly gotten Morgana on her side. Merlyn sighed quietly at the knowledge. "How goes the battle for Uther's mind?"

"When Cenred marches on Camelot, you will find a kingdom without a leader" Morgana answered smugly. Merlyn swore in her head at the truth of the saying. Arthur was reluctant to take the regency though she hoped he had listened to her whilst Uther was indeed mad. His mind was no longer his own.

"Finally we are ready" Morgause said with joy. How was Merlyn going to stop an army?

"Not quite." Morgana's words caught Merlyn's attention. What had they not completed yet. "Merlyn suspects me."

Well ... that's new. Merlyn frowned. She had not given Morgana any sign that she knew about her turn to evil so what was Morgana referring to. Had she been listening when she was talking to people? Or ... did she know that Merlyn had been following her?

"Has she told Arthur?" Morgause questioned with a concerned look on her face - it seemed they were aware of Merlyn's connection and influence over the prince to some degree.

"Not yet, but she will." Merlyn nodded, that wasn't a lie.

"Well then, we must stop her."

"That will not be difficult."