CHAPTER 5

Tim Lautner

I have known Will even before elementary school. He shined wherever he went and people loved him. I come from a somewhat wealthy family. So, things were usually easy for me. I was spoiled. I realized that I was gay just before high school. I never said it to Will or my parents. I was afraid. So, I never dared to tell them. I always dated in secret. But the reason for realizing my sexuality was Will. I liked him. But I chickened out to say that to him. So, I decided to be friends with him. Will didn't always have a hearing disability. He was healthy AF. In high school, we had betted on something insignificant. I lost the bet. I wasn't ready to accept it. So, I fought with him. And let me be clear, I didn't beat him up. He also fought back. The pretty guy knew to fight pretty well as his dad was a boxing coach. And when he was punching me, I pushed him away with full force. And he got pushed on the road. A truck was coming at full speed and hit him. I was so shocked and scared when that happened. I ran towards him. And cried. I didn't know what to do. Someone walking by the street called the ambulance and he was taken to the hospital. The accident made him lose his hearing sense. He even got surgery. His dad got grumpy at that time. His mom was trying her best to stop her husband from lashing out at her son. I felt so guilty. I kneeled in front of them in the hospital. Will's father was really angry. My parents were also pissed. My parents were too delicate and emotional people. They too kneeled.

"Nothing's going to change by kneeling! My son can't listen to anything, ever!", his dad yelled.

"We are sorry, for our son's behaviour, sir.", said my dad. I began crying. And that was the first time my dad slapped me. "Kneel properly! Look, that kid has to suffer for your mistakes!"

I cried louder. But nothing changed. During this mess, Will's anaesthesia just wore off.

"MOM! DAD!", he screamed. His parents rushed towards him. I also rushed towards him. The doctors brought a notebook and wrote on it. They said that he had lost his hearing sense from the accident. His face fell. He was really sad and cried.

"I can't hear? Mom? Dad?", he cried. His parents cried with him. I kneeled in front of him crying.

"Tim? Are you alright? Were you hurt by the accident?", he asked, getting worried.

"No, Will. I am so sorry! I should have been in your place!", I cried. But he couldn't hear anything that I said. Will's dad also came to hit me. I was prepared. I deserved it. But Will came in between us and got hurt.

"Will, NO!", screamed his dad. "Are you alright?! Did I hurt you?", asked his dad, panicking. The nurses rushed towards us and helped Will to lie down on the bed.

"Do not get up, Will.", said the doctor showing the book.

"Sorry, doctor'' said Will smiling.

"Did I hurt you, son?", asked Will's dad, getting worried.

"I am used to small hits like that dad.", he said smiling as if he just had a sweet cupcake.

"And I couldn't hear you, Tim. But I think I know what you said. It's not your fault. We both fought."

"WHAT?!", screamed Will's dad.

"Yes, dad. We were just having a stupid fight which I took a bit far. So, Tim had to push me to help himself. I lost my balance and ended up on the road. It's my fault for losing my hearing."

Everyone stood silent.

"So, you are telling me he didn't do anything?", said his dad snatching away the book from the doctor's hand.

"No, I was the one who started the fight", he lied. "I must apologize to Tim's parents. I am sorry Madam and sir. I hurt your son."

That's what he always does. Lying. Just to protect me.

"No, child. We are sorry. It doesn't matter who started it. What matters is that you lost your ability to hear because our son pushed you at the road.", said my dad writing on the book.

"That's not his fault, sir. Tim doesn't know to fight well. So, if I was in his place, I would have done the same. It's my fault and I have been punished for it. Please don't be mad at Tim.", he said with a sad smile. Everyone in the school saw me with a different look. I deserved it and so I accepted it.

I couldn't tell them the truth. I was scared. So, I played along. I went to the hospital daily after school. Will's dad didn't like it when I went to visit Will. My parents also wanted me to stay away from Will. But how could I?

I felt so guilty and I couldn't do anything to fix it. That's when I started following wherever Will went. My love for him was at its peak but I had no right to love him. When Will returned to school, he couldn't keep up with the classes. I helped him throughout. Some of the students made fun of Will's disability. I took care of them after school. I just wanted Will to complete his high school without any trouble. But it was hard for him. He had to go to sign language classes at the same time. But throughout our time together after the accident was memorable. Will was very careful and took care of me. He beat up whoever taunted me. He was truly a great friend. And I never wanted to lose him. He didn't go to college. He loved to cook. So, he opened a restaurant. He always prepared lunch for me. To him, I was just his best friend but to me he was everything.

I wanted to open a school for children with various disabilities. I wanted them to have a pleasant high school life that my friend couldn't have. I felt this was the only way to get my redemption. I was attached to the guilt every day. But I had to live with it. Sometimes I felt, Will was pretending, so I wouldn't feel guilty. But, I don't think so too.

It is a tourist place. So, I met many new people. And I dated a few of them. But I could never give up on Will.