CHAPTER 22

PETRA

(This chapter is an extra.)

I was travelling again. I was never this happy. Travelling with the people I love. Everything was so good but all of them were terrible at hiding their emotions. They were broken. And I was the reason. I was the rock that broke a fine glass.

I looked on the internet. I looked at the blogs and poems written by the survivors. It gave me confidence. I was never moved this much before.

'Four out of 100. That is the survival rate for stage 4 glioblastoma. I am the four per cent.', it said.

This sentence gave me confidence. I wanted to be that four per cent too. I wanted to be happy. I wanted to live a long life. I wanted the people around me happy. So I decided to have the surgery. We hadn't travelled too long yet. A month had just passed. I said them.

"I want to have the surgery.", I said. Their eyes became teary. But they soon smiled. For me.

"We will find the best doctor for you!", said dad. Will, mom and dad hugged me. They had already done all the research. We were just one call away. Luckily we got an appointment with one of the best doctors.

I was never this scared. Dying wasn't this scary. What if I die on that bed? The doctor and the nurses tried to assure me. They knew things could go wrong but it was both the way. I assured them and they assured me. Pretending everything was okay. I hugged my parents and Will. I kissed Will. This could be the last time I kiss him.

I fell asleep.

I woke up. Most of the tumour was removed. I continued my chemo to get rid of the foe completely. It was painful. Dying felt better but I had to live. I wanted to live. I always gave up. I always kept things to myself. I always thought I wasn't good enough. I never felt like living a happy life but that did change when I met Will. But after I got cancer I had never been this active. I didn't give up anymore. I shared my feelings and my thoughts. I was good enough. I lived my life good enough. Now I had a reason for everything. I was confident now. No one could bring me down.

I recovered completely. Cancer thankfully didn't come back again. I was thinking I lived most of my life with cancer after my grandma but things were going to change now. I was going to live a happy life now. My life could never be the same. And I am happy about that. My life is much better now.

I changed my happy ending. My happy ending got delayed. I went back to teaching. My parents lived with me. Though travelling brought them happiness it would mean they would miss all the time they can spend with me again. So from now on, they are never travelling. I was kind of happy. Not that they would no longer travel but that I could spend my time with them. Will went back to what he is good at. Cooking. We redecorate the restaurant every year. Now we had so much time. I met Mr and Mrs Marshall every week. Sometimes every day. Will and I got married. We had a baby. She grew up healthy. And when our time came we perished.

That's my happy ending. My life with my parents, Will, his parents and our baby. This is my happy ending.

FIN~

Writer's note.

After reading the survival story of Lori Luedtke with the title "Surviving Glioblastoma: I am the Four Percent" I wanted Petra to have a happy ending so badly. I would recommend anyone to read her story followed by many other survivors. Life is not easy. But they came through it. Reading their survival story gave me a lot of confidence. My life is like any ordinary person. But I tend to give up all the time. I always think I am the one in the worst pain. Reading this made me realize a lot. I wasn't sure if I could put out the actual link. If anyone wants to read it just send me a message.

Thank you so much for reading When Our Fates Collided. Hope you liked it. Hope you loved it. Hope you felt the emotions of the characters.

Thank you.