CHAPTER 15

JAMES

After the proposal, Tim was totally avoiding me. It took me a lot of courage to propose to him. But... I guess I have to respect his decisions. I wanted to make lunch for him but Will always made it to him. Tim looks like he likes Will but Will is dating Petra. He always ignores Petra. Petra also seems to ignore Tim. Looks like they fought. I sometimes was worried that what if I am misunderstanding the whole situation and that Tim's actually heterosexual. I guess then I have to give up on him.

I tried to help him. In many little ways, I can. But worried if he noticed them.

Did he know that it was me who was doing all the stuff? I noticed he was sad that Will had stopped cooking meals for Tim after Will started dating Petra. He smiled when his eyes met with Will while he was with Petra. But I could tell that he was heartbroken at that time. I tried to make him happy by acting silly. He at least laughed at them. That made me happy.

I sometimes wished Tim was a bit confident and confessed his true feelings towards Will. But at the same time, I didn't want him to.

"Aren't you embarrassed by your behaviour in the public?", asked Tim.

"Why should I be? I like you.", I said.

"Are you sure this isn't a one-time fling? Are you even gay?", he asked.

"I'm not gay though. I'm bi. And I'm cool with it. Do you want me to tell you something special?", I asked getting excited.

"No thank you!", he said and started to walk away from me. I ran towards him and held his hand and stopped him.

"What are you doing?!", said Tim panicking. He pulled away to a corner. We both were still holding hands. He pulled his hands away as soon as he realized.

"This is not funny, James!", he said angrily. I saw him in the eyes. He looked scared.

"I'm not joking, Tim", I said, holding his hands again. He looked scared.

"Please don't be scared.", I said and kissed his hands. He didn't pull his hands away.

"Why are you doing this? I'm sure you have already realised that I like Will.", he said looking sad.

"But Will likes Petra."

"That doesn't matter! I like him anyway!"
"Same here.", I said with a soft smile.

"But--"

"You are the first man that I have approached. I'm scared too. I have zero experience with men.", I said, getting embarrassed.

"You are really an idiot! Liking me won't bring you any happiness. Because I will never love you!", he said and walked away. It felt like I got shot by a bullet. It felt like the world became colourful leaving me alone. All I could do now was to hide in it.

I got busy with my work again. I tried to forget Tim. But it was very difficult. All my hard work had gone in vain. I dropped out of Petra's sign classes. I worked mostly at home. I would step out sometimes. I would walk by the school sometimes to look at Tim. He didn't look at or for me. My love story ended even before it started.

There was this day that I just couldn't stop thinking about Tim. I took a leave that day. I helped my mother with cleaning and helped my dad with the papers. I went out grocery shopping. The tourists in this place are no joke! I see new people every day. The guest houses are always booked. I felt like someone was following me. I caught that person. It was two ladies.

"Why are you following me?", I asked.

They looked flustered. "Are you single?", one of them asked.

I laughed. "Sorry. I don't want to answer that."

"Aww!"

"Where are you going? Let me help you to go there.", I said looking at her luggage.

"XX Guesthouse."

That was near Tim's house. I wondered if I could see him. It was already evening. I quickly helped them to get to the guest house.

"Be careful with your mobiles and valets. The locals are good. But not all tourists have to be kind and good. And--"

I heard a big bang. It was the sounds of the gates. Tim ran out of his house angrily. He seemed to be crying too. His parents came running out as soon as he left. And there was an unknown figure there too. I wonder who he is. Tim's parents looked worried.

"Take care ladies.", I said to the ladies and rushed towards Tim's parents. The unknown figure was Tim's ex. I could summarize what could have happened. Before listening to anyone I gave my name card to Tim's parents and said, "Don't worry. I will look for him. I'm the son of the Davis family down the street."

And then I looked for Tim.