CHAPTER 21

WILL

We travelled all around the world. Petra kept having the pain. We tried our best to comfort her. She maintained a diary so that she wouldn't forget anything. Petra had become so romantic now. We had so much fun together. Petra's parents were always close to us. They wanted to give us privacy. But they couldn't and I understand that. I was feeling a bit guilty for spending more time with Petra instead of them.

And that day came. On a fine day, Petra fainted again. We immediately took her to the hospital. Her condition had worsened. She wouldn't make it that day. We broke into tears when we heard that. We sat next to her. Waiting for Petra to wake up one last time before she goes to sleep forever.

She woke up. We hugged her, wetting her shoulders. She was smiling the whole time.

"Don't cry.", she said. "Thank you for keeping me happy. Thank you for letting me be selfish. Thank you for making my dreams come true."

We couldn't say anything but sorry.

"This is not a sad ending. It's a happy ending. When someone spends her last days happily it's a happy ending. My last wish is for all the three of you to have a happy ending. You can follow me only after your skin is wrinkly and your organs go old. Please find someone who is going to live a long life, Will. I will be checking on you. Don't die alone. Fall in love again. And have your happy ending."

Why would she say that? That too now. How can I ever fall in love again? She would always be in my heart. I can never move on.

"I don't think I can like without you.", I said crying.

"You have to! For my sake. Find your happy ending. And mom and dad thank you all this time."

"How can you say that, love?", said Ben.

"Our beautiful loving daughter, we will always love you.", said Rue.

"Always.", said Ben.

"I love you.", she said. And that was the end. Petra was gone.

My life got filled with a void. Now I understood why Petra said that she was selfish. It was impossible now. I can't live without her. A year passed. Another year passed. I was lost. I had lost all hopes in life. Rue and Ben tried to comfort me and move on. How could I?

"You have to live your life, Will!", said Rue.

"Stop ruining your life like this! This isn't what Petra wanted!", yelled Ben.

"But.. I can't forget her.", I said, breaking into tears.

"You never can.", said Ben.

"You need to live with it, Will. That's the only option you have.", said Rue.

"Live the life that she lost. Live your life to the fullest for her. That was her last wish.", said Ben.

Petra was the reason for my happiness now she is gone.

Petra is now the reason for my happiness. She is the reason I want to be happy. I want to find that happiness again. I met many people. But no one was like her. No one could give me the happiness she gave me. I knew I could never find someone like her again. But I still tried.

But in the end, I gave up. I wasn't happy. With anyone. I couldn't feel the same way with anyone ever again. But Petra wanted me to have a happy ending. So this is it. This is my definition of a happy ending. Living my day as if there is no tomorrow. Keeping my customers happy. Keeping the kids at the school happy. Keeping my parents happy. Keeping Petra's parents happy. It was tiring but was worth it. And the best thing was to reminisce about Petra every morning. I would try and retrieve that happiness she gave me by recollecting our memory every day. Die when I get super old. And then meet my Petra.

This is my definition of a happy ending. Not the happy ending that Petra and I wanted but still it was a happy ending for both of us, separately.

(End of Will and Petra's story.)

(I have given a happy ending for them in thenext chapter.)