CHAPTER 10

Petra

Mr Marshall's house was really beautiful and the entire floor was made of wood. Before I entered the living room, I asked Mr Marshall if there was something I had to be prepared for.

"Just smile.", he said. Damn... I should have practised that last night! I had brought some fruits as I couldn't come empty-handed. We walked into the living room. Mr Marshall's dad was reading the newspaper and Mrs Marshall was reading a novel. They are alerted as soon as they see us. The couple sits together on one side and we sit together on the other. I had brought some fruits on the way. I gave it to them as a souvenir.

"Hello, Mr and Mrs Marshall, it's nice to meet you. I'm Petra Blossom. I work as a sign language teacher at Mr Lautner's school."

His parents looked surprised.

"You teach sign?", asked Mr Marshall.

"Yes, sir."

"That's amazing! Were you always interested in the field?", asked Mrs Marshall.

"Not really, ma'am. I had to learn sign language when I was young."

"I see. I don't think I have seen you before. Are you from the city?", she asked.

"Yes, ma'am. I moved in six to seven months ago."

"Where do you live then?"

I was constantly questioned. Marshall's mother was excited to see me but his dad remained silent as if he was carefully listening to my answers.

"Mom, calm down.", said Marshall.

'It's okay' , I told him. He smiled. "I live at my grandmother's house."

"Grandmother?"

"Yeah. You might know her. Her name's Violet Jenner."

"Lady Violet? Of course, I know her! Honey, do you remember Lady Violet? She used to catch us whenever we bunked school!", she said laughing.

"Yes, I do remember her. She was a funny person. So, you are her granddaughter?", he asked.

"Yes, sir."

"Then I know your mother too. Rue was a very fun person to hang out with. But she left our village to live with her dad in the city.", she said. "Do you not live with your parents?"

"No, ma'am. They are travellers. So, I used to live with my grandmother all the time. Last year she passed away so I came here to settle down."

"Oh, my condolences. I do remember Rue loving to talk about travelling. I guess she found the perfect partner for her journey."

"She sure did.", I said smiling.

"Shall we have lunch?", Mr Marshall's dad asked.

"Oh, no. I totally forgot you came here for lunch. Silly me. I got carried away with excitement.", said Mrs Marshall and stood up to get the food on the table.

I stood up. "Can I help?"

"It's okay dear, Will can help me. Please take a seat.", she said.

I did what I was asked. I sat down on a chair and waited until everything was kept. When Marshall and his mother were busy his dad was staring at me. I was a bit worried.

"Do I look intimidating?", he asked. Should I say the truth or what?

"I would be lying if I said no, sir."

"That's good. Do you like my son?", he asked up straight.

"I do, sir."

"Even with his disability?"

"Yes, sir. His disability does not affect me. He is kind to me and takes care of me. And he is a really good person."

"Are you sure you won't get bored of his looks and start getting annoyed by his reality?"

"I am one hundred per cent sure, sir. He is my first proper boyfriend. I am new to a relationship. But he makes me comfortable."

"Alright. What do you like the most about him?"

"He is kind, helpful, good looking, has a sweet voice, keeps me happy and the best part is he fills in my incompleteness. His cooking skills are amazing! I cook burnt food.", I said shyly.

He started laughing loudly. I didn't know what I did. Marshall and his mother sat on chairs.

"What did I miss?", she asked.

Mr Marshall looked at me clueless.

"She likes our son for all the reasons I fell in love with you, dear!", he said laughing again. "Especially the cooking part! She is just like me. All food is burnt!"

Mr Marshall and his mother started laughing.

"So, who approached whom first?!", he asked, getting excited.

"We both felt the vibe but I think I approached her first.", said Marshall.

"Mr Marshal is right sir.", I said. There was silence.

"Are you two not in terms of your first names?", Mrs Marshal asked.

"I am a bit uncomfortable with that. But I am trying to call him by his first name.", I said.

"Let's hear it then! Come on!", she said.

"Yes! Come on!", her husband said. Marshall's eyes were fixed on mine.

I put my spoon down. "W... Wi... Will", I said stuttering.

"Let's hear it again with a little bit of confidence!", said Mr Marshall's father.

I was scared and was feeling super awkward. The only way to break this awkwardness was by calling out his name.

"Will."

"That's like a good girl!", said Mrs Marshall. Both Mr and Mrs Marshall started clapping and laughing. I covered my face with my hands because I was super shy.

"Will, you should take her to the nearby falls.", said Mrs Marshall.

"There's a fall?", I asked, getting excited. The vibrations from rocks and the smell of the wet mud are going to be a perfect date.

"Hey, we went last time!", Will said.

"We did?", I asked, getting confused. Did I go to a waterfall? Why do I not remember?

"Yeah! You took me there! I was so moved!", said Will. Wait for a second... Waterfall... When did I go there? Oh, Oh! I remember now! Silly me!

"Oh yes, I remember. I heard about the falls from a local."

"I see.", said Mr Marshall, smiling.

Will's parents were so kind! I was so happy that I met them. I thanked them for inviting me for lunch. They asked me to stop by again some other time.