CHAPTER 18

RUE JENNER

Why? Why God? WHY?!! What wrong did my daughter do to suffer like this? I'm a terrible mother! Or else Petra would have told us about the Glioblastoma.

I received a call from Will. He was crying. I knew he couldn't listen to me so I just listened to what he said.

"Ma'am I am so sorry. I am sorry. Ma'am!", he cried. I quickly called Ben (my husband). I put the call on a loudspeaker.

"Ma'am please come to the XX hospital! Petra is sick. Really sick. Please come here soon. Please!", he cried and cut the call. Ben and I panicked. We quickly took the taxi and went to the hospital.

We saw our daughter, our dear Petra on the hospital bed again. Will was sitting next to her crying. Waiting for her to wake up. Why do I have to witness this? We walked towards them. The doctor came in as soon as he saw us. He showed us the reports. She has cancer. Again. Why? Tears rushed out of my eyes. And it wouldn't seem to stop. Ben was crying next to me too.

"Can't she get cured? By surgery or something?", I asked.

"She can. But the success rate is very low. There are only a few doctors who can operate on her given her condition. We would recommend you to take her to the capital. We have more experienced doctors over there.", said the doctor.

Why? It's the third time already. Why does she have to die so badly?! This time she almost has no chance. Will's parents also rushed to the emergency room. His mom tried to comfort me. Tried. Nothing could comfort me more than my daughter's life.

Petra woke up after some time. She saw all our faces. Faces covered with tears.

"So, my secret is finally out?", she said.

"Why would you not tell us, Petra? Do you hate your parents so much?", asked Ben and held her hands. "I'm sorry for not being with you! I'm sorry! Sorry for being a terrible father!", cried Ben and kneeled. I kneeled with him.

"Sorry for being selfish, Petra. Sorry! Please forgive your parents if you can.", I cried. Sorry. That's all we could say to her. After all, we were never with her. A sixteen-year-old child lied to her parents about her cancer and the surgery. We should have figured it out back then. She would lie again and hide it from us again if something goes wrong. She wasn't close with us. We never had the commitment and intimacy a family should have. So she could never trust her feelings and pain with us. It was our fault. She is paying for the sins we committed as selfish parents.

"Please let's get the surgery, Petra.", said Will. We looked at Petra with hope.

"NO.", she said. Hopes were shattered.

"But why?!", asked Ben.

"You could live a normal life after you get the surgery.", I said.

"I don't want to take that risk and lose my remaining time. Would be okay if I leave without a goodbye. If I die on surgery bed?", she asked. We couldn't answer. But all of us broke into heavier tears.

"This is why I didn't tell you guys", she said. What does she mean?

"I knew you would cry. I know I am going to die. But I want to live my last few days happily. Happily with Will and my family. With all of us. I want to die happily.", she said, also bursting into tears. We were all crying without saying any more. Petra held Will's hand.

"Sorry for ruining everything... Sorry...", she said, sobbing. She then held Ben and my hand. "Sory... Sorry for being a terrible daughter..."

"No... No... you are the best daughter. No one could ever have a better daughter than the one we have. We are with you no matter what.", I said sobbing.

"We will always Love you Petra. Always. We will always stay with you. Always.", said Ben crying.

"Always.", said Will.

"Sorry for being selfish...", she said.

"Selfish? No. You were never selfish Petra. Never. You are always sacrificing. We are the ones that we're selfish.", I said.

"But isn't it selfish of me to hurt you this way? Wanting to be happy when everyone is literally sad and crying. Wanting to live happily knowing that you will have a hard time after my death. Of course, I'm selfish, mom."

"Since you have never been selfish, Petra. Be all selfish you want now, then. We all have the right to be selfish at least once. Let that be now. Do all you want to do. We have your back.", said Will.

"Anything! Whatever that makes you happy. We will do that with you if you want us to be there.", said Ben.

"Travel.", she said. We all paused for a second. We looked at her. She smiled.

"Then we'll travel.", said Will.

"We'll come with you too!", said Ben and I. Though travelling could have been the worst wish she could have asked as she could be a major risk. We wanted to do it with her. For her.

"But your restaurant?", asked Petra to Will.

"We'll handle it!", said his parents. "Live your life Petra. We will support you in all possible ways. Take good care of her Will."

"I will.", said Will smiling at Petra. He was trying his best to hold his tears for her. And so were we.

We would all go on a journey. A new journey. We were going to experience something we have never experienced before. Which we never wanted and never will despite all the happiness we receive. No one must experience this sadness. No one.