CHAPTER 9

Will Marshall

Finding happiness in little things is the best thing God gifted me with. Even though I lost my ability to hear and lost my childhood, my friend did everything to make my life feel normal. Tim is a sensitive person. He gets angry quickly. But he has a kind heart which he isn't sure to have. He lacks self-confidence a lot. After that accident, I knew how he would feel. So, I took all the blame on myself though it was both of ours fault. He doesn't love himself enough. I was worried about the outcome he would commit after that accident had caused me. No matter how much we fought he always had my back. So, I cared about him a lot. I always thought our friendship was unique. He always protected me and looked like the bad guy to all. But he was never the bad guy. So, I felt I had to do anything/everything to protect him too and always have his back. I was pissed at him at the hospital that day but seeing him cry that way, I knew he regrets that fight just the way I did. My dad was ready to kill him in rage. His parents were also broken seeing my condition. The only way to make things better was by lying. So, I did it. Though, after that day, my dad didn't talk too much with me because he was disappointed with me, I would still lie again and again if I could go back in time. My dad is very important to me. I idealised him while growing. But now my dad was disappointed in me. But still, I would do it. So, that I wouldn't lose my best friend over a stupid fight.

Petra left quite the impression when we first met. Her eyes were so pretty. The mask covered her lower face and her bangs covered her forehead. So, all I could see was her eyes. Pretty, sharp eyes. When she used signs to talk to me, I was shocked. Not many use sign languages simply when they don't have hearing or speaking problems. After she removed her mask, I noticed she had a scary expression. A scary expression. And when she spoke, she had a dead face. It looked like she didn't want anyone to read her emotions. She spoke in a dead face with Tim. But when she turned towards me, she was expressive. It felt good getting the special treatment. I didn't believe in love at first sight. But I guess I did fall in love with her at first sight. But I thought it would be absurd to confess it since we don't know each other yet. So, I didn't tell her about it. I didn't say it to Tim either. But for other reasons.

We kept meeting each other. There were a lot of things that I liked about her. She was doing a wonderful job as a teacher. And mainly she enjoys eating my food. What could I possibly want my partner to have than one who enjoys eating my food? It seemed like she always had a lot to say but she didn't want to share any. I'm sure she had a lot of hardships before she came here. Hence the dead face expression. I wished she would say it to me. But we weren't that close. It had been over two months. But it felt like we had known each other for a long time. We understood each other well. And we honestly respected each other's privacy. I didn't ask about her expression again and she never asked the reason I lost my hearing.

I liked her a lot. And I could feel that she liked me back too. So, I decided to ask her out. And she agreed.

'Let's have our first date near a waterfall!', said Petra, getting excited. She looked so happy saying that so I agreed right away. There was quite a big waterfall here. But we had to hike a little bit to see it. So, I had prepared some breakfast lunch for both of us.

She took me near a big rock and told me to stand on it.

'Do you feel it?', she asked happily.

"Yes.", I said. She was so considerate. I never thought this was the reason she chose the falls.

'I remember you telling me how much you like the sound of nature but you regret not being able to hear it. Even if you can't hear these waterfalls, you can always sense its vibrations!'

At that time, I felt where I could find such a great date. I loved her so much more. Whatever she did was beautiful. Seeing her play in the water reminded me of my younger self. Even though I missed a lot when I was young, she filled in everything that I had lost. We had a great time together. We went on dates almost every day. I never thought Petra was a romantic. We were dating for a year now. But one thing never changed. She kept calling me Mr Marshall. Even though it felt distant she liked it that way. So, I agreed. Since this was the least I could do for her. Everything was going well but one day my dad saw us together.

"Who was that with you the other day?", dad asked.

"She is Petra, dad. I am dating her.", I said, getting scared. After that accident, my parents were really sensitive with whomever I was with. I did date a few girls before Petra but all of them left me soon. None of them was ready to live with my disability forever. So, I was always left heartbroken. Whenever they broke up with me, I came home crying and drunk. So, they were always worried about dating life too.

"Are you sure about her?", he asked seriously.

"Yes, dad. I like her a lot. I love her. But I didn't dare to say that to her.", I said confidently. I could see that he was worried. But dad tried his best not to show it.

"Then bring her to our home someday.", he said. He never said that to me, ever! He wants me to get my date home? To meet them? Is it because I was finally dating after years? Or is it because this was the first time I told him that I loved someone? I didn't know. I didn't know what my dad was thinking. But one thing was for sure. I had to bring Petra to meet my parents. But I was worried that Petra would find it awkward. Not to mention, she is a city girl. And what if she argues with what my dad says? What if things go bad? Oh my god! But I had to tell her about what my dad said. So, I did.

"Your dad invited me to your home?", she asked with a surprised face. "Why?"

"I'm not sure about that."

"It's okay. I'll meet your parents. I'm sure they are just worried about their son and want to know me. When shall we meet them?", she asked, smiling.

She is smiling? I thought she wouldn't agree. But she did. She respects their choice. Wow! She surprises me whenever I see her. We decided to meet during lunch. I asked one of the chefs to cover up for me that day.

We went together.