CHAPTER 6

Petra

I am not a good cook. I ate half-burnt food for a week. On Sunday I decided to go out to have dinner. But I was busy preparing for my next class. I didn't realize the passing of time. When I checked the clock, it was already eleven. Which restaurant would be open this late? My life... I'm so done with it. But still, I decided to check. What if some street food van was still open? I looked around. Everything was closed. I stopped by Mr Marshall's restaurant. The lights were still on. But it was closed. I stood in front of the building. He suddenly came out.

'What are you doing out this late, Petra?', he asked.

'Dinner.', I said with my dead face. 'I haven't had one yet.'

'Oh... Come in then. Let me cook something for you.', he said, opening the door for me.

'No, it's alright. I don't want to trouble you.', I said.

'It's alright. Get in. It's not safe to stand out so long.', he said with a gentle smile.

'Okay.', I said and got in. 'The shop is closed right?'

'Yeah.'

'Then what are you still doing here?'

'I was cleaning the kitchen.'

'OH! I am sorry for troubling you.'

'You aren't troubling me, Petra. I like to cook and I like to see people eat my food.', he said.

'Okay.', I said looking down. I didn't know what to say next. It felt like I was invading. But he said that he didn't mind it. So, I think it's all cool. I took a seat. It took him a while to get the food. But I was patient.

"Sorry for being late.", he said out aloud while bringing the plates in his hand. He didn't use a sign. I didn't even know that he could speak. I never noticed how light his voice was. I'm not fond of heavy voices like most of the girls. I like light voice. It's pretty.

'It's alright!', I said, welcoming the food.

"Sorry, most of the ingredients were empty so I did whatever I could from the remaining.", he said out loud again.

'OH! Please, don't be sorry.', I said and took a bite. It was just a simple spicy porridge but it had such a heavenly taste. "Mmmm."

"I guess, that means you liked the food.", he said.

"You, heard me?", I asked, getting startled.

"No!", he laughed.

"But... you again--"

"I still can read your lips.", he said with that different smile.

'Oh... right...'

"So? Do you like the food?"

"Yes", I said with a bright smile before I realized my action.

"Do you like alcohol?"

"Yes."

"Then...", he stood, "Let me get some.", and walked away.

"Wait! Not now!", I screamed. But he couldn't hear. He brought a bottle of champagne.

'I'm not paying for that.', I said.

"It's okay. One of our customers didn't want to waste it so he let us have the rest of the champagne left in the bottle."