2

The tarred floor ended in black and white kerbs. A stretch of grass covered land followed, guarded by high chain-link fences which clung to the kerbs in a weird fashion. Goal posts were visible on either sides of the field, white markings evident on the grass.

Chidiogo stared beyond it, getting a view of the main school building. The building was large and covered in bricks. Eight white pillars stood at the center of the building marking the entrance.

The cloisters stood out as Chidiogo watched students donned in white and navy blue disappear and reappear between arches.

She let her eyes wander around the large compound, observing the basketball and volleyball courts in a distance, all screened by high chain link fences.

She put a hold on her straying mind as her eyes moved back to her mother who sat inside the car.

She was checking something in the rear view mirror as her lips kept moving.

Grateful that she hadn't noticed her absent-mindedness, Chidiogo put on a smile as she tried to tune out all distractions and focus on her mother.

". . .that's why its important for you to take care of yourself. . ."

The rest of the words blurred as Chidiogo cast Mmachi a side glance.

Her lean frame rested against the car. Chidiogo couldn't tell what the expression on her face was as her eyes remained on the tarred floor.

A stream of marching ants held her attention, something which their mother's speech had failed miserably in achieving. The message couldn't be louder, every passing minute she spent with the both of them could as well be likened to torture.

The tension that crept into the car with them had been too heavy throughout the drive, it was almost crushing.

It lingered longer than it should have, still present even as the both of them stood outside the car while their mother sat behind the steering wheel advising them.

Chidiogo looked back to their mother suddenly conscious of how the almost wound down car window pressed against her skin. She stared down at her crossed hands scared that changing her position would attract their mother's attention and give her a wrong idea.

Her arched back ached and she itched to stand straight as she looked back at her mother, smiling as their eyes met.

The words coming from her had ceased to make any sense and all Chidiogo could see was her moving lips.

She stifled a yawn as she shifted a little, still too scared to move properly. Her muscles had started acting up from being in the same position for a long time.

She stared at her wrist watch for the umpteenth time.

Her mother had been talking for the past fifteen minutes and it didn't seem as if she was planning to stop anytime soon.

She looked up just in time to catch her mother staring at her. She wasn't talking at that moment.

"You heard what I said right?"

Chidiogo paused for a while before smiling, moving her head up and down.

"Yeah."

"Promise you'll do it?"

"Suuure."

She smiled when her mother raised a brow at her, her cheeks starting to hurt from her constant smiling.

"Always remember to pray and make sure you never allow anything to distract you from your studies."

Chidiogo nodded, making a mental note of the last statement she made just for the sake of it.