21

The building reeked of death. Ironic how it was the one place made to restore life. The bright white walls, which had been repainted of recent, and the strong smell of antiseptics which drenched the place unsettled Mmachi.

She didn't understand why everything about the school had to be exaggerated, the school clinic not being an exception.

She trailed behind Amelia and Kaima, taking in breaths as she swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. This was the last place she wanted to be in.

Amelia led the way and soon got to a wooden door. After a single knock, she pushed the door open and gestured for Mmachi and Kaima to come in.

Kaima followed Amelia the same moment but Mmachi remained at her spot. She glanced at the door for a minute or two before stepping in.

The room was compact, having very little space left even with the small number of people present there. Mmachi felt claustrophobic but still braced herself and went further into the room.

She muttered a greeting to the nurse on duty who sat in a corner playing games on her tablet. The nurse continued with her game, not acknowledging her presence.

Mmachi glanced around the room for another second before her eyes landed on the bed where Chidiogo lay. A white bandage was wrapped around her forehead, a part of it soaked with blood.

Mmachi's eyes drifted to Chidiogo's hands which were wrapped in someone else's. Her eyes flicked up for a moment and she recognized the person as Justin once she saw his rear view.

Her mood dampened, her lips turning downwards as she narrowed her eyes at their hands joined together. She stared for a long time before looking up to find the both of them staring at her.

Justin's face lit up with a smile the moment their eyes met. Mmachi held the urge to raise a brow at him. She really hoped he wasn't expecting her to smile back at him.

She looked away from him and kept her gaze on Chidiogo's face. Amelia and Kaima were talking to her but she had her eyes fixed on Mmachi.

Her lips were tilted downwards and her expression mirrored Mmachi's.

"How are you doing?"

A smile broke out on Mmachi's face the same moment the words came out of her mouth. She kept her eyes fixed on Chidiogo trying to study her expression, to read meaning into her silence. She couldn't help the question ringing in her head.

What are you thinking?

Chidiogo's face remained impassive and she made no move to speak.

"I see you're fine now?"

Mmachi's voice came out a pitch higher this time. She didn't plan on giving up.

"Good thing your eyes are still working."

The comment was offhand, unlike Chidiogo. Mmachi mulled over her words before replying.

"I thought you were the one with bad vision."

"And I'm starting to think your eyes really are the only things functioning in your body."

Mmachi raised a brow. "Excuse you?"

"You are excused."

Mmachi's brows were almost in a knot as she stared at Chidiogo, at loss for words.

"You're not making any sense!"

"I meant you should leave."

Mmachi waited for her to burst into laughter and take back her words but that didn't happen. Her face remained impassive as she redirected her gaze to the opposite wall.