40

"Nah, not even possible," Chidiogo said, dismissing the idea immediately.

"Everyone is a-"

"Yeah, yeah, everyone is a suspect," Chidiogo said interrupting Sky, "I know that already but you aren't even a suspect. You weren't even in this school when I first got attacked. You resumed late, remember?"

Sky's lips, which hung slightly open initially, pressed together. Chidiogo didn't give her a chance to properly process her words before continuing.

"And also, you saved me when Kamsi and Wale left me to die. If you wanted me to die, that was the perfect opportunity. No one would have come out until the next day. Before anyone found me, I would have been dead. Do you see why it's logically impossible for you to even be a suspect?"

Sky pursed her lips for a moment before they morphed into a smile.

"Wow," she said, the smile on her face broadening, "I'm impressed. I guess you've actually been more attentive than I thought. I'm even starting to trust your judgement."

"So you'll believe me when I say that Mmachi is the one behind everything that's going on?" Chidiogo asked.

Sky shook her head with a small laugh.

"I guess time will be the judge of that," she said stretching out her body, "I'll get going now. Take care of yourself and keep what I said in mind. Also, if possible, try to get in contact with your parents again."

Chidiogo nodded. As Sky turned to leave, a question popped up in her head.

"Do you have Amarachi's number?" she asked.

Sky paused but didn't turn fully to face her.

"I doubt," Sky said, giving her head a small shake. She was about to turn again but stopped. Her head snapped back to Chidiogo and her eyes flitted down to her attire. "Aren't you going to change your clothes?"

"I was," Chidiogo said, "I mean I am, but it doesn't really matter whether I change it or not."

"We have to be in school by 5:30."

Chidiogo furrowed her brows. "But there's no prep today."

"There's a meeting with your form teacher, for all the S.S.2's. It's"-Sky glanced at a small golden pocket watch Chidiogo hadn't noticed, dangling from her belt holder-"5:25 now. She'd probably be out of the staff quarters by now and heading to your class. That's where the meeting is going to hold."

"How come I didn't hear about this earlier?" Chidiogo asked.

Sky shrugged. "You and Chikaima left early. I'll get going now. See you in school."

"Is the meeting compulsory?" Chidiogo asked, halting Sky in her tracks again.

Sky, who had her back turned to Chidiogo, tilted her head a bit. "Yes. Although I doubt it would be important. Just attend to avoid trouble."

Sky didn't wait for Chidiogo's reply before walking away.

Chidiogo stood in the hallway for a while after Sky left before the buzzing flies around her broke her reluctance to move. She returned to her room to change her clothes and ended up heading to her class together with Amelia.

She found out from Amelia that Chikaima and Kamsi already left for the meeting before she returned to the room.

The class was packed by the time the both of them arrived, almost every single corner of the class occupied by students. The crowd was so bad, you couldn't go two steps without brushing by someone.