42

The bell sounded, putting an end to the hour long torture the Mathematics teacher had put the whole class through in the name of teaching. Chidiogo stifled a yawn as she got up from her seat, stretching out her body.

She had just started packing her bag when one of her classmates, who she never spoke to, walked up to her to wish her a happy birthday. She plastered on a smile, thanking the person and waiting till he left before dropping her smile and releasing a sigh.

Ever since she stepped into class that morning, she had been receiving birthday wishes from both those who she knew existed and those she didn't. Even the pretty Iranian girl with electric blue eyes, who literally talked to no one, wished her and even hugged her.

She found it odd since she never mentioned her birthday to anyone and she didn't think anyone cared about Mmachi that much to take note of her birthday. Apparently, she was wrong.

As she fastened the strap of her backpack, she noticed Justin walking towards their table. Her heart fluttered to a halt before picking up pace again.

She stood in the same position, staring until Justin got to their table and engulfed Mmachi in a hug. When he broke the hug, he placed a quick kiss on her lips before wishing her a happy birthday.

The action seemed to break Chidiogo from whatever spell had enveloped her, sending a dull pain coursing through her chest. A tap on her shoulder sent her head swinging to the opposite direction.

She forced her cheekbones to rise when she saw Paschal, who had been standing beside her all this while. He handed her a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates from Munchies.

"Happy birthday," he said, his signature smile gracing his face.

"Thanks," she said, staring down at the flowers.

Nestled between the artificial light pink and white roses was a small blue jewelry box. She could bet that whatever was inside the box had to be diamond. She had told him she preferred diamonds to silver and gold accessories during their date.

She picked up the box and turned it around in her hand for a moment before flipping the lid open. Seated on a small cushion was the prettiest necklace she had ever set her eyes on.

As she stared at the piece of jewelry, she felt eyes pricking her skin. She knew Paschal was watching her, waiting for her reaction.

She looked up after a while, pushing the corners of her lips up.

"I don't know what to say." Her eyes darted back to the jewelry box, tracing the outline of the chain holding the diamond pendant. "It's extremely pretty . . . You didn't need to get this."

Her eyes flew up to meet his when she got no reply. He stared at her for a long time before breathing out a chuckle.

"I didn't need to but I did. You're going to make me feel guilty about that too?"

"No, no, I didn't mean it like th–"

"Relax, okay? I'm not offended," he said, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ears.

She wanted to move away from his touch but couldn't get herself to for some reason. It wasn't until someone spoke that she realized she had gotten lost staring into his eyes.

"Aww!"

She turned to find Amelia pouting at them.

"You're all too cute. I feel oppressed," she said, trying to put on a sad face as she folded her arms.

Chidiogo couldn't help but giggle at how much she looked like a lost puppy.

"You're the one who refused to get a boyfriend," Mmachi said to Amelia, drawing Chidiogo's attention to her.