19

Chidiogo's footsteps echoed throughout the hallway. She clutched her notebook to her chest, thinking about her Religious Studies assignment which was due for the next day.

She had at least five narrations to do on three different accounts and she hadn't even started a single one.

Her footsteps died when she saw Justin leaning against a pillar. He stood far from her, ear pods blocking out any sounds with his eyes fixed on the garden opposite the corridors.

She hadn't been expecting to see anyone since it was past school hours and Friday evening meant no prep. At least she had learnt that earlier unless Amelia had been lying which didn't seem likely since others had also stayed back at the hostel. She just came out to grab a notebook she forgot.

She remained in a spot contemplating whether she should turn around and use another way or walk up to him. She hadn't seen him ever since the bathroom incident and she felt she owed him an apology.

He just tried to check on her because he was concerned but she snapped at him and even threatened to frame him.

She found herself walking towards him. She halted when she got to his side. His eyes were still fixed on the garden but she was sure he must have seen her through his peripheral vision.

She put on a smile.

"Hey."

His eyes remained fixed ahead. The rays from the receding sun fell across his face, bouncing off his eyes while giving the illusion of golden flakes swirling around his brown orbs.

She got distracted by his beauty for a moment before snapping back to reality. She took a deep breath, unable to explain the sudden pounding in her chest, before tapping on his arm.

The action seemed to startle him and he turned to her, his eyes widened. They reduced to their original size once they fell on her and he took off his ear pods.

"You scared me there."

"Sorry."

"Chidiogo was right, you do enjoy scaring people."

Chidiogo's smile fell. "I'm Chidiogo."

"Oh." His eyes moved back to the garden in front of him. "What do you want?"

She played with her fingers. "I wanted to apologize for what happened the other day-"

"Which day?"

She glanced up to find his brown eyes piercing her. "Look I was wrong to make you leave like that. I know you didn't mean any harm and-"

"You didn't answer my question."

"Huh?"

"I said which day?"

She sighed. He just had to make this hard for her.

"Wednesday."

He humphed, turning his head away from her. She stared at him for a few seconds trying to understand what that meant.

"I'm sorry," she said after a while, "I'm really really sorry. I know I shouldn't justify my action but I wasn't in the right frame of mind."

The sound of rustling leaves followed her words, causing her to throw a glance in the direction of the bush. Justin's voice pulled her eyes away from it and back to him.

"I know"-he sighed-"I'm sorry you felt like you needed to apologize to me. I should have understood."

"It's okay," she said, her lips tugging up at the corner.

"Yeah."

The rustling sound filled her ears once more and she couldn't help staring at the garden again. Was the wind really that harsh? If it was, she definitely wasn't feeling it.