5

Mmachi watched the fading yellow arc disappear beyond the horizon leaving behind a splatter of coral pink, peach and red. Fluffy clouds drifted closely, giving the sky a picturesque appearance.

Piano sounds flowed into her ears via the headphones she had on. 'Calming sounds' as Amelia had described them. Totally explained why her already frayed nerves seemed to be ready to snap at any moment.

She let out a sigh as soon as the clear view in front of her was blocked by an approaching figure. She closed her eyes hoping that the 'calming sounds' would work some kind of miracle.

She reopened them and watched as Justin came to a halt at the small brick wall she sat on. Their eyes met for a second before he glanced down at her outstretched legs, which occupied the length of the wall, gauging if he could sit.

A few seconds later, he glanced up probably deciding against it. His lips curled up in a smile which faltered as soon as he met Mmachi's deadly glare.

He gazed at the ground, fidgeting as she watched him. He glanced up, opening his mouth to speak before pausing.

He pointed to her headphones, gesturing for her to take them off. She narrowed her eyes at him for a while before taking it off and placing it on her neck.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"I want to talk about what happened earlier–"

"And I don't want hear it," Mmachi said raising her headphones back to her ears. She paused when she heard him sigh.

"Babe–"

"It's Mmachi. Save that silly name for Chidiogo."

"Really? You're going to act like this?"

He stared at her wide-eyed as he spoke.

"Act like what?"

"The stubborn asshole you always choose to be."

Mmachi narrowed her eyes, her lips stretched into a thin line. Her grip on her headphones tightened until her hands began to hurt. Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm herself only then realizing that her headphones had been hanging in her hands for a couple minutes.

She took it off entirely, sitting up and turning around to leave when she felt someone grip her right hand. She glared hard at Justin's hand against hers, hoping that it would be enough to burn a hole through his skin.

He quickly withdrew his hands, rubbing the back of his head as she shifted her stare to the garden in front of them. She idly noticed how the leaves swayed in the wind.

"I'm sorry."

She broke her stare from the bush with roses which had caught her attention and stared at Justin. Her eyes fell on his pink lips and she stared a little longer than she intended until she became aware that he was looking at her and still waiting for a response.

She looked away, clearing her throat. She stared at the white pillar she'd earlier been leaning on for a while before speaking.

"When are you not sorry?"

"You've got to be kidding me!" Justin said running his palm down his face.

She just stared at him as he let out a sigh and looked back at her.

"Look I'm trying to make things right here and you a–"

"Say one more thing about me and that'll be the last thing you ever say."

Mmachi's voice was low and controlled. Justin narrowed his eyes at her, not paying attention to what she said.

"Must you be so difficult?"