44

Chidiogo trotted all the way down the stairs and had already stepped onto the paving to begin her journey to the hostel when she became aware of a faint, unfamiliar feminine voice which seemed to be calling out to her to stop.

Her body halted on it's own and her neck twisted to the back. Walking towards her in long strides was a girl with a smallish stature. The girl jumped a little flight of stairs and landed directly on the paving, next to Chidiogo.

"Hey," the girl said, flashing Chidiogo a smile which only confused her.

"Hey? Sorry, have we met?"

The girl laughed at her question and she struggled to understand what was funny about it. "I'm Diane, I think you'll remember me as the girl who spilt a drink on you on social night."

As she spoke, Chidiogo's face lit up in recognition, her mouth forming the shape of an 'O'. The girl's face was lighter than she remembered, a glaring contrast to her almost black hands.

"You never came to collect your shirt and you still have my jacket with you. I didn't get your room number and I didn't know any way I could find you since I didn't even know which class you were in," Diane said.

"So sorry about that, it totally skipped my mind. I'm heading to the hostel now. If you're going there too, we can swap back," Chidiogo said.

"Sure," Diane said, letting Chidiogo lead the way.

They walked in silence for a couple minutes before Chidiogo felt the need to break the silence budding between the both of them.

"What class are you in?" Chidiogo asked, glancing back and slowing down so Diane could catch up with her.

"S.S.3. You?"

"S.S.2."

Diane nodded and didn't make any attempt to continue the conversation. Chidiogo remained quiet as well, only breaking the silence once to suggest they used the subway.

Once they got to the hostel building, Chidiogo greeted one of the new matrons stationed outside and made to walk through the double doors but halted on hearing Diane's voice.

"Let me sign in." Diane picked up a stylus and scribbled on the tablet the matron held out to her. "Don't you want to sign in too?" She looked up from the tablet for the briefest of seconds.

"Not yet. I left my bag in school so I'll still go back for it."

Diane hummed and Chidiogo watched as she collected a slick band from the matron. She fastened it in front of her and the matron made sure the red light at the centre had turned green before letting her into the hostel.

Chidiogo refrained from asking her what she thought about the new hostel procedures as they walked through the lobby. The idea seemed absurd to Chidiogo when it was mentioned just a couple days ago, laughable even.

She couldn't tell exactly what inspired the school to get bracelets that alerted the hostel mistresses when they stepped out of the hostel after signing in, right after a random head count was carried out.

What surprised her was that somehow, Mmachi hadn't gone on her late night adventures the night they carried out the head count, as if she had had some kind of prior information about it.

And since they started the whole bracelet thing, she had toned down the way she stayed out late but hadn't stopped entirely. Chidiogo wondered how she was able to get out of the hostel without setting off the alarm at first but then remembered that she was Mmachi.

Knowing her well enough, she probably figured out how to deactivate the bracelet the very next day.

Chidiogo broke out of her thoughts once Diane stopped in front of a room. Diane cracked open the door to the room and peered in first before giving it a swing, letting it creak open.