15

The name rang in Chidiogo's head for a moment. How Mmachi managed to end up in the centre of every single thing which ever went wrong was something she couldn't fathom.

Miss Esua raised a brow when she heard the name. "She's the prefect?"

Justin manged another nod.

"Whose brilliant idea was that?"

Justin stared at the floor without saying a word but judging by his clenched fist, anyone could tell he was offended.

"So Kamsi isn't the prefect?" Wale spoke up for the first time since Miss Esua arrived.

"No," Justin replied.

"Which means Mmachi gave the keys to her," Wale said, throwing Mmachi a dirty look.

"More like she stole the keys from me," Mmachi said unsmiling.

"And you think I'd believe that?" Miss Esua asked, turning so she faced her.

"I know I have a lot of bad records and you must definitely hate me which is totally my fault." Mmachi sighed. "But you have to trust me on this."

Miss Esua folded her arms. "You haven't given me many reasons to trust you."

"You once taught us during morals that no one is incapable of changing."

Miss Esua stopped short of laughing. "I've given you too many chances and what did you do?"

"Okay," Mmachi said after a few seconds, "let's just assume that I gave her the key—which I didn't—I should have asked what she wanted to do with it and—"

"That doesn't justify anything."

"So what are you trying to say? I planned to pour acid on Amara!?" Mmachi's brows scrambled together, her voice becoming a pitch higher.

Miss Esua ignored her tone. "I didn't say anything. You said so yourself."

"Let's not pretend like you weren't already suspecting me."

"It wouldn't be beneath you, to be totally honest," Quinn chipped in before Miss Esua could reply.

Mmachi kept a straight face, not looking away from Miss Esua.

"I believe I was the one speaking to Mmachinemerem," Miss Esua said glaring at Quinn.

"I'm sorry ma." She looked down at her crossed arms.

Miss Esua stared at her for a little while longer before clearing her throat.

"Alright. Let's make this easy for everyone. Mmachinemerem and Kamsiyochukwu will both report to the Principal's office once we leave here."

Her voice echoed around the lab as she walked to the elevated structure in front of the class. "If you know you would create any sort of nuisance during the activity we're about to start now, you know the way to the door. Don't let me fish you out. Better leave before I reach my seat."

Chidiogo kept her eyes on Miss Esua while she talked until her peripheral vision caught a movement. She turned just in time to find Mmachi heading to where Kamsi was seated.

She noted that Kaima somehow managed to sleep through the whole incident which took place, even still asleep as Miss Esua kept talking. Mmachi walked past her and grabbed Kamsi by the hand once she got to her seat.

Kamsi put up a little struggle when she tried to pull her up but Mmachi ended up still dragging her out of the lab before Miss Esua got to her seat.

---††††---