25

"What is going on here?" the receptionist asked again when she got no reply.

The air was as stiff as a planchette and the whole room stilled for a moment. Mmachi's heart rate quickened and for a moment she felt breathless. The sound of the woman's heels clicking against the tiles informed her that she was drawing near.

Mmachi had just about enough time to throw Chidiogo and Paschal a glance before she realized that the woman probably wouldn't see her. The oversized monitor in front of her made sure of that. If she just sunk deeper into the chair, she would be just fine.

She let out a breath of relief for a moment before looking around. Her eyes fell on a small window at the end of the room. It was the only window in the room.

She gauged it from where she sat. It was hardly enough to let light rays infiltrate it. It would be a miracle for her to pass through it.

The receptionist's voice came again at that moment, this time louder than before.

"If you don't tell me what you two are doing here, then get your bags ready. I'm calling your parents."

The receptionist whipped out her phone the same instant and started tapping the screen. Mmachi spared Chidiogo a glance. As expected, she was already shaking.

Paschal also looked like he was trying hard to keep his composure, all colour drained from his face. Mmachi decided to speak up at that moment, after glancing between them and a little bit of contemplation.

"They're not at fault."

Her voice echoed throughout the room before the loudest quiet she'd ever experienced settled upon them. The receptionist looked up from her phone on hearing her voice. Her brows furrowed, creases streaking her forehead.

The receptionist continued staring at Mmachi to the extent that she got uncomfortable and looked away. She found Chidiogo and Paschal also staring at her.

She took in a deep breath, letting air fill her lungs, before letting out a loud sigh.

"They came here to stop me," she started, darting her eyes between the computer screen and their expectant faces, "They were on their way to class when they saw me going in. Chidiogo knew I would probably be up to no good and was just trying to stop me from getting into trouble for our parents' sake. Paschal was just being a good friend."

She played with the hem of her cream cardigan when she was done speaking. She picked up little noises from the hallway, none enough to distract her from her current situation. After about a minute of stretched silence, the receptionist let out a sigh, her features smoothening.

"That doesn't mean what they did was right. They could have reported to anyone in authority instead of coming in after you."

Mmachi tilted her head back. Her eyes lingered on the receptionist's face for a moment before she gave a curt nod.

"True." She nodded again, her eyes moving around the room. "With all due respect ma, you would have done the same if you were in their shoes."

She locked eyes with the receptionist at this point and maintained the stare as she spoke. "You wouldn't have chosen to get your sister in trouble just to be a 'good' student. And I said she did this for our parents' sake. If she went to the authorities, our parents would have been called over and would still have to go through unnecessary trouble. She—"

"I think I've heard enough, Ezenwa. I want you to go to my office now!" the receptionist interrupted Mmachi before she could continue her speech.

Her tone was enough to startle Mmachi but she regained her composure, maintaining her demeanor. The receptionist turned to Chidiogo and Paschal afterwards.