7

As if in a trance, she kept her eyes fixed on the blue light as it assumed a flickering quality like a candle flame undulated by the wind. She didn't steer even when she became aware of Chikaima's presence next to her. 

Finally Chikaima's voice forced her to break her gaze from it.

"What's wrong?"

She didn't speak; rather, she looked back to the blue light, pointing at it. One second the blue light shone, flickering slightly; then the next it was gone, like the flame it resembled, blown off without the tell tale smoke and the darkness took it's place.

Confusion marred her features for a moment as her hand fell back to her side. She stared at the darkness minutes after the blue orbs were gone.

"What? What were you pointing at?"

Her lips remained glued as she kept staring into the darkness. She snatched her eyes away from it when she felt a small shake. She turned her stare to Chikaima who had worry written all over her features.

"It's nothing. I just . . . I thought I saw something."

"Something? Like what?"

Chidiogo glanced over at the darkness again before speaking. "Like a blue light . . . Crystal blue irises just that . . . they were . . . glowing."

There was an edge in her voice as the last words came out, like even she couldn't believe it. She couldn't tell if the silence that followed resulted from the absurdity of her words or Chikaima just being too stunned to speak. Either way, she wished for the first time since they met that the girl would keep talking.

She almost sighed in relief when she heard her voice again.

"What do you mean? Glowing irises? Like actual glowing eyes?"

Chidiogo nodded slowly. She watched Chikaima, waiting for a reply.

"I don't know," Chikaima said glancing at the field, "I didn't see anything. Maybe you just imagined it . . . or perhaps it was a cat?"

"A cat?!"

Chikaima shrugged. "I've never really seen one around here before but if you're sure then that's a possible explanation. Why are you even stressing about this? It's just a blue light. What you should be stressing about is the fact that we are so gonna be dead if we aren't back in the hostel in five minutes!"

She took a while to think before agreeing. She still couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong but as Chikaima had said, there were more important things to bother about.

                   ———††††———

"There you are!" Chikaima screamed on entering her dorm room with Chidiogo, causing Amelia and Mmachi to both look up from their books and stare at her.

"Did you maybe loose your way to an asylum?" Mmachi asked returning her gaze to her Chemistry textbook while adjusting slightly on her bed and pulling her duvet closer.

"Of course not. I haven't seen you since we resumed, I'm just glad to see you again. All this bitterness isn't really necessary. A little happiness won't kill you," Chikaima said, heading towards Mmachi's bed.

"Tell me about it."

Amelia's voice came out in a monotone as she returned her attention to the books and papers scattered all over her bed.

Mmachi rolled her eyes. "We just resumed yesterday. And could you quit crushing my bones? I get it, you missed me. Now free me abeg before I stop breathing."