38

"What did you just do?"

Chikaima's voice was dangerously low. Her jaw ticked as she moved her wide eyes between the damaged MP on the floor and Mmachi, who still stood shaking.

"Don't just stand there mopping. Give me an answer! Why did you break my MP!?" Chikaima shouted, the sudden rise in her tone startling Chidiogo.

Mmachi still remained quiet for a while, hyperventilating. She peeled her eyes off the floor before they landed on Chikaima whose glare was enough to make anyone shudder.

Mmachi blinked, moving her eyes between the crashed MP on the floor and Chikaima. She looked confused for a moment before she let out a sigh.

"I'm so sorry, Kaima. I didn't mean to. I'll get you a new one. I can even pay for it now if you wa-"

"I can get myself a new one," Chikaima said, interrupting her. "That isn't the problem. The problem is that you just walked in here and destroyed my MP without a valid reason! Why do you always do things like this!? Whenever I think that you would . . . "

The rest of Chikaima's words came out in a mumble as she pulled chunks of her white weave on between her fingers and repeatedly tugged at them.

"Sorry," Mmachi muttered.

Chikaima shook her head. Her hand, which hung close to her hair, fisted into a ball.

"You need a doctor," Chikaima finally said.

Mmachi's eyes narrowed into slits. She glared at Chikaima for a while but ended up saying nothing before exiting the room.

Chikaima sighed, bending down to tidy up the mess Mmachi made.

"Your sister really needs medical help," she mumbled as she gathered parts of the spoilt MP.

Chidiogo wanted to apologize for Mmachi's behavior but the sound of someone's footsteps stopped her. She heard Kamsi's voice before she saw her.

"Hey!" Kamsi said, causing Chidiogo's spine to go rigid.

Chidiogo's lips remained clamped while Chikaima looked up from what she was doing, offering Kamsi a small smile.

"How have you been doing?" Chikaima asked, going back to her work.

"Oh, I've been fine," Kamsi said, joining Chidiogo on Chikaima's bed.

Her eyes remained on Chikaima and she pretended not to notice Chidiogo.

"I decided to check on my bestie since she forgot about my existence."

Her eyes flitted from Chikaima to Chidiogo for a split second. The action caused Chidiogo's heart to lurch forward in her chest.

Kamsi turned back to Chikaima before asking, "So bestie, how have you been?"

Chikaima sighed, shaking her head. She gave a reply which Chidiogo didn't hear and they went on to start a conversation. Chidiogo felt uncomfortable with Kamsi's proximity.

She scooted a bit but not too much so it wouldn't be obvious that she was trying to avoid Kamsi. For weird reasons, she kept forgetting that Chikaima and Kamsi were best friends.

It was still odd to her that someone as nice as Chikaima would be best friends with a devil like Kamsi. They were polar opposites and it didn't just make sense to her.

"Diogo," Kamsi called, giving her a painful nudge with her elbow, "you're just sitting here quietly, making it feel as if we left you out. How have you been na?"

Chidiogo's shock at being acknowledged by Kamsi had barely dispersed when she spoke again.

"What are you thinking about sef? Is it your kiss with Justin or is it your date with Paschal that's distracting you?" she asked, wiggling her brows.