26

Tears had blurred Mmachi's vision by the time she got to the top of the stairs. She was so engrossed in trying to wrap her head around what she had just heard that she didn't know when she bumped into Chidiogo.

Chidiogo yelped, spinning around from the impact. She took a moment before she regained her balance. When stable, she turned to reprimand the cause of her fall but closed her mouth on seeing Mmachi.

She turned around on the spot and started walking to her room.

"Chidiogo!" Mmachi called out, hot on her heels.

She didn't respond, rather, she increased her pace, her footsteps echoing through the empty halls. Mmachi doubled her pace, unwilling to loose the chance to talk to her.

Chidiogo had just wrapped her hand around the door knob when Mmachi reached her and yanked her hand away from the knob.

Mmachi held onto her hand, tightening her grip on reflex.  Chidiogo glanced at Mmachi's hand wrapped around hers before glancing at Mmachi.

"Leave my hand," Chidiogo said.

Her tone was low and with the murderous stare she gave, any one would know better than to object. But not Mmachi.

"I didn't mean to—"

"I don't want to hear it!" Chidiogo interrupted her.

As a reflex (and in an attempt to block her ears) her hands shot up. Mmachi's hand restricted hers from any further motion, leaving them hanging midway.

"You have to believe me, putting you in trouble wasn't part of—"

"SHUT UP!"

Chidiogo's voice resonated throughout the hall, leaving echoes in its wake. Wired by a sudden rush of adrenaline, she gave Mmachi a violent push. The push sent Mmachi stumbling back a few feet, forcing her to release her grip on Chidiogo.

"It's enough!" Chidiogo's voice resurged again before Mmachi could even recover from the push.

"I've had enough of all this and I don't want to hear a single thing! It's my fault for believing you every single time. I'm the reason you only get worse by the da—"

"I didn't mean to—"

"LET ME FINISH SPEAKING!"

Something in Chidiogo's tone made Mmachi keep her lips sealed. She couldn't tell if it was really the tone or the fire in her eyes as she glared at her. Her eyes were coated red, her pointer hanging midair.

Her body trembled a bit but it seemed more to do with her initial adrenaline rush than anything else. For all Mmachi knew, she wouldn't mind killing her on the spot.

"Every time. Every fucking time I decide to think you've changed, you only prove to me why I shouldn't have freaking trusted you in the first place! When have you not gotten me in trouble?"

The gentle hum of the air conditioner filled the air for a minute and Mmachi seized the chance to speak.

"Everything started with you—"

"FREAKING LET BYGONES BE BYGONES! I CANNOT KEEP LIVING LIKE THIS!!"

Chidiogo raked her hands through her hair, almost uprooting the hair from her scalp. She paced about muttering unintelligible words as Mmachi watched.

"You don't get to act like the victim, okay?"

Chidiogo stopped pacing at that moment and focused on Mmachi. "Why can't I act like the victim?"

She waited for Mmachi's response but only got an almost distant sound of a whistling bird.

"No, tell me. Why can't I act like one? You've been putting on this your victim act for way too long. I should also get a chance to play one."