39

"And if that were the case, you really have underestimated just how much danger you might truly be in."

The words rang in Chidiogo's head, bouncing around her skull. She tried to think back to every incident that happened earlier but it all pointed back to Mmachi.

"It doesn't make sense," she said finally, staring into Sky's bewitching eyes, "All the evidence points towards her and she has a ton of reasons to want me dead."

"A ton?"

"I mean—as you said we don't get along."

Chidiogo's voice got a bit shaky towards the end. Sky hummed.

"And no other person does?"

"Huh?"

"No other person has a reason to want you dead?"

Chidiogo fell silent for a minute.

"I don't know," she finally muttered.

"Okay," Sky said, letting out a sigh, "since it's only logical that whoever is behind these attacks has to be from this school, I'll ask you a couple of questions to see if we can narrow down the culprit. But firstly, have you considered switching schools?"

Chidiogo nearly laughed.

"Apart from the fact that I just transferred from another school, my mom doesn't believe me. She thinks I'm hallucinating."

"Why?"

"My doctor once concluded I was mentally disoriented because of the trauma that came from watching one of my sister's kill another and the terrible bullying I faced in my previous school. Although I don't think it was an accurate diagnosis. But all the same, she thinks I'm being delusional.

"And now I can't even reach either her or my dad. They left for a trip and didn't leave any means for us to communicate with them. Besides if Mmachi is really the culprit, it wouldn't make any difference even if I switched schools."

"Okay," Sky said, "maybe you should try telling them again whenever you're able to reach them—"

"My mom will just insist that I see Dr. Kumar."

"So there's no other way?"

"There isn't."

Sky raised her hands in mock surrender. "I'll drop it for now. Back to what I wanted to say earlier. Since we've decided that the attacker is definitely in this school, now we have to narrow it down. Who are those you relate with in your class?"

Chidiogo worried her lips.

"I don't talk to a lot of people—"

"Just mention anyone you've ever interacted with," Sky said, cutting her off.

"Okay . . . There's Amelia, Chikaima, Kamsi—technically all of Mmachi's friends."

"Let's take them one by one. We'll start with Amelia."

"I don't suspect her," Chidiogo said, causing Sky to let out a long sigh.

"Everyone's a suspect, that's the first rule. Although I do agree with you. I don't think Amelia would want to kill you. She never disliked you, right?"

"She did," Chidiogo said, shifting her gaze to one of the giant potted plants lying around, "she didn't really like me when I first resumed."

"What changed her mind?"

Chidiogo shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe she realized I wasn't a bad person?"

"Or she tried to win your trust since she knew it would be easier to kill you that way."