02

02

"You should be grateful that your daughter was able to attend such an important meeting, Chloe."

"Why was she not chosen? I have waited for this day to come and because of her, my faith is ruined! "

"She isn't ready; the Dark Lord senses that about herself. Now if she were my daughter I would be congratulating her and showing how proud I am, not blaming her for something that is out of her control."

"She isn't your daughter Vector! The Dark Lord has chosen the wrong child." I lean my head against the door, deciding if I should enter or not. Louis was behind me, listening in also. I hiss in pain as he kicks the back of my leg. I turn around about to shout at him but he smirks at me and presses his finger against his lips. I roll my eyes and lean my head against the door again.

"The Dark Lord doesn't make mistakes." My Uncle Vector hisses. There was silence which meant the conversation was over. I allowed Louis to open the door first so my mother wouldn't be suspicious of me listening in on her and her brother arguing about me.

As we walk into the living room, Vector gives me a wide smile and rises from his chair. He wears a large black robe with golden cuffs around his large wrists. He had gained weight since I had last seen him which was when I was in the third year. His green eyes that resembled mine were bright and his black beard had been shaved off leaving only a hint of a goatee behind. Vector opened his arms wide towards me; I smiled widely and nearly ran into his arms.

"It's been too long, my dear," Vector speaks in a thicker English accent than mine. I laugh and nod my head, I hear my mother growl behind me but I ignore it.

"I've missed you," I say truthfully. Uncle Vector was the only one in my family (other than my brother) who I was really close to. He always was there for me and defended me against my parents. My mother loved her older brother but hated the fact that he always scolded her for her parenting techniques.

"Now tell me about your successful meeting with the Dark Lord." Vector winks at me. I wanted to tell him the truth and tell him how much I hated it, how much it affected not only me but Draco, and how scared I was, but I didn't. I only put on a fake smile and looked him right in the eye while replying,

"It was wonderful; he gave the task to Draco Malfoy. Though I have a feeling the Dark Lord wants something from me by the way he approached me at the meeting."

"That's great Caroline, I am so proud of you. You remind me of when I first became a Death Eater, most thrilling day of my life." I take a seat next to my Uncle and look over at my mum who stands in the middle of the room who has her pale arm around my little brother.

"You make it sound like she has received the mark, don't praise her for only attending a little meeting-"

"Enough Chloe!" Vector snaps stopping my mother from saying anything else. I agreed with my mum though, she was correct. I had not done anything to be proud of, I only attended a meeting and watched my best friend get branded. I watch my mum leave with Louis; the door slams behind her and I can hear their footsteps walk upstairs.

"Uncle. Why can't I live with you?" I ask the same question I have asked since I was a little girl. His green eyes look into mine with pity. He lays his hand on the crook of my neck and runs his large thumb over my left cheek.

"They won't let me, darling, I have already asked everyone if I could take you in as mine to raise. I only get declined, and your mother thinks I would be a bad influence on you."

"How are you a bad influence, if anything she's the bad influence? You're the only one who actually treats me right in this damn family." Vector gives a small smile and nods his head. He leans in and kisses my forehead before drawing back his hand and standing from the chair.