19

19

The heavy rain cried from the sky as if the heavens were being torn apart, falling down upon earth, grieving with sorrow. It fell into the night with such a roar it echoed like horses hoofs upon the ground. I didn't want to go out on such a stormy night, but I had no choice.

My feet splashed into multiple puddles making my shoes and socks soaking wet. Raindrops fell from my hair, dripping down onto my robe. My teeth chattered loudly causing me to cringe whenever my bottom teeth met my upper with a grinding motion. I brush my fingertips against the exposed skin of my neck feeling myself choke down my grief.

A loud cackle of laughter echoes from behind me causing me to flinch at the sudden sound. Tears stream down my cheeks mixing in with the cool water given from the sky. My nose is running terribly and all I can do is wipe it against the fabric of my robe as my footsteps become faster but sloppier. The grass is slippery against the flats on my feet and every once in awhile I stumble. My heart pounds against my chest, my breath coming out in a fog.

I have to go back.

"I need to get Louis." I mumble attempting to turn around but my arm is caught keeping me from going. I bite my lip, fighting against the hand upon my right arm. I squeeze my eyes shut, letting out a sob. "I need to get him! Let me go, Draco!" I scream wiping around and pushing him away from me. He stares at me with fear in his eyes, not towards me but what we had just experienced moments prior.

"We can't go back Caroline. Do you understand me? We can't go back, you and I were both seen by the others."

"B-But he has no one. He needs me - "

"Caroline." Draco pleads desperately taking my hand pulling me gently towards his direction. I keep my eyes upon the castle in the distance seeing a crowd of people spilling out into the courtyard looking up at the sky. I look up also seeing the green scintillating lights that made out the shape of the dark mark.

The lump in my throat becomes bigger and my lip quivers as I hear the cries of our fellow classmates. They cry in horror, fear, pain. I shake my head hanging my head low letting Draco pull me forward towards the bridge. Other Death Eaters follow behind us, muttering things to each other with excitement in their raspy voices. It disgusts me.

"Yer ain't gettin' away!" A loud voice booms from the distance. I quickly look over my shoulder seeing Hagrid run towards the group of us with an angry look on his bearded face. My heart leaps out for his bravery for being unarmed and trying to keep the Death Eaters from leaving. The Death Eaters instantly attack him while Draco and I start running. Angry yells and shouts echo from behind us once we sprint across the bridge trying to get past the gates.

"Stupefy!" A familiar voice shouts from far behind. A few moments go by before I feel a burst of energy hit hard against my back. I collapse with a grunt, my bare knees scrapping against the ground. I feel my entire body seize up, my eyes closing as I begin to lose consciousness.

"I'll kill Potter - "

"Run, Draco!" Snape's voice interrupts him. Draco picks me up swiftly and runs us past the gates and without a second thought we Disapparate. The twirling, twisting, and pressure on my head feels very sickening but in an instant it is all over. The spell lingers upon my body for a couple moments before I can feel my toes and fingers again. Draco lets me down, helping steady me by holding my waist. I keep my eyes closed taking heavy breathes. Flashes of the Astronomy Tower run through my mind obnoxiously,

"Draco, Draco, you are not a killer."

"How do you know?" Draco instantly replies. I keep my arms crossed behind Draco, my eyes staring down at the floor. I could feel Dumbledore's eyes on me but I could not find the bravery in me to meet them. "You don't know what I'm capable of," Draco adds with a shaky voice. "You don't know what I've done!"