24

24

A ray of light captured the dust that floated in the air. Different shapes glimmered in the sunlight before disappearing into the shadows. Caroline watched quietly, lost in her speeding thoughts. Her thoughts consisting of Draco and what he thought of her now. Was he looking for her? Joined together with those who wanted her dead? Was her brother lost and alone, or did he finally lose himself in another way; into his own darkness?

Her worries had no voice, she left them unspoken. They stayed deep in her mind, covered by clouded memories of the days she missed most. The days she was with her friends at Hogwarts, with Draco.

Caroline remembered the time her and Millicent Bulstrode got their first detention together back in second year. The time Draco joined the quidditch team as the new seeker. She was angry with herself because she had missed his first match against Ravenclaw.

She sat in the near corner of the room, right beside an old antique piano. She was tempted to play it, wanting to hear it's calming melody but she hadn't played in years.

Caroline had met the rest of the wizards and witches who were housed here. All of them had something in common — the need for protection.

A young witch, no older than the age of eighteen introduced herself as Maddy Clark. She was a muggleborn. A newly graduated witch from Hogwarts. When Caroline asked what house she was in, the witch only shrugged her shoulders and replied,

"It doesn't matter anymore. Once you're out of that school, you're label is no longer your house but by your blood."

Caroline also met another wizard who went by the name of Dodat. His name was made up for his safety. He was wanted by some Snatchers over in the Alps. Dodat managed to get to London before they could further track him more. He was also a muggleborn.

She wondered if this was what the world had come to? Where muggleborns had to go into hiding to avoid arrest? If the Dark Lord did take over the Ministry, all muggleborns would be captured and more likely killed.

"Hello Miss. Beard." Caroline flinched as a hand pressed the top of her shoulder from behind. Crater quickly drew back and took a seat on the piano bench beside her. His brown eyes held a hint of guilt, but some amusement at her startled reaction. "Didn't meant to scare you."

"For the love of Merlin." Caroline placed a hand against her racing chest. She tried to give a soft smile but it's forced. Truthfully, she was annoyed Crater had interrupted her daydreaming. She had a lot to think about. Like what she will do next once she leaves this place.

"When you leave? Where will you go?" Crater narrowed his eyes at her with a frown on his lips. She quickly stood from her seat, shooting him a glare. She couldn't even feel when he was reading her very thoughts! Caroline had no way to block him.

"Miss Beard can I have a word with you?" Diggle asked from across the quiet room. Feeling grateful to leave, she quickly joined Diggle in the hallway.

...

Louis doubled over in pain as he coughed violently. Wiping his mouth he sees in pure horror - blood. With hands that shook, he lifted himself up from the ground and leaned weakly against the brick wall of the alleyway. Draco watched the poor child with a blank expression. With arms crossed he speaks,