11

11

The hot summer sun beat down upon Caroline as she walked back to her house. Her sandals clicked against her heels with her every step. She couldn't keep the smile off her face as she turned around looking at the park she had just left behind. Caroline couldn't believe she had done it. She had sneaked out of her house!

Little over an hour ago Draco had sent an owl to her window letting her know he was near the park with his mother. She was ecstatic! Caroline hadn't seen Draco since the end of their second year at Hogwarts. She had managed to climb herself out of the window and run down the street a ways from her family house. Caroline couldn't believe she had finally managed to leave her house without her parent's knowledge.

The smile on her face soon faded away once she climbed back through her window and found Louis sitting on his bed staring at her with watery eyes. She was about to question what was wrong when she looked over at their bedroom door and found her mother standing there. Caroline's heart shattered right then knowing she had been caught.

"Mother - I can explain." Caroline said with wide eyes. She held up her hands in case she needed to defend herself but made sure to show her mother with her eyes that she was truly sorry for her wrong doing. Caroline closed her eyes bracing herself once her mother walked over to her and took her roughly by the arm.

"She didn't mean it!" Louis shouted blocking the doorway so her mother couldn't get through. Their mother stopped and gave Louis a hard look, silently telling him to move. Their mother wouldn't dare lay a hand upon him.

His blue eyes watered even more looking between his mother and sister. He shook his head and tried to plead to let his sister go but he instead backed up against the wall and started to cry. Caroline gave a soft look to her nine year old brother and walked willingly with her mother down the stairs.

"Where did you go?"

"To the park." Caroline answered halfheartedly.

"Who did you meet?"

"I'm not saying." Caroline snarled. Her mother stares at her for minutes on end before demanding with a low voice,

"Into the closet." Caroline's eyes widened at this. She would rather get punished by her father than get locked in the broom closet. The house was very hot, truly the closet would be the hottest of rooms and she had a feeling her mother knew that.

"No, mother please." Caroline pleaded with tears filling her eyes. She only got the closet during the fall and winter seasons, not during the summer. It would be very hot in there; she could die if she stayed in there for too long from heat exhaustion. Clearly her mother didn't care for she was already grabbing Caroline by the ear and shoving her into the clo -

"NO!" I scream. I block out the memory not wanting to show Snape what happened next. Not only did I get the closet when I was twelve years old, but I also got the Cruciatus Curse along with it. Never again would I sneak out of my house from then on. I wipe the sweat from my head and take deep breaths.

"Well done, you were able to build up a wall blocking me from your mind." Snape nodded with a smirk on his face. He gracefully turns away from me, his cloak wiping around him from his sudden movement. Snape circles around my chair, his hand running over the back. I don't look at him. I stare straight into the mirror that hung on the wall in front of me.

I wanted to cringe at the view of myself in the mirror, knotted blonde hair, dark green eyes with dark shadows underneath them. My face glowed in the darkness of Snape's office, the glow coming from the full moon that shone through the glass window. I bite down on my lip thinking about how easy it had been to stop Snape from entering my memory, how did I do it so easily?