21

Story will now be in third-person

21

Draco fisted the fabric of the bed so hard it was causing the tops of his knuckles to turn white. He clenched his teeth together not caring about the unsatisfying feeling it gave him. He was angry, very angry. Without a second thought he sits up from the bed and chucks the pillow across the room as hard as he could. It fell in front of the tall mahogany wardrobe that reminded him so much of the cabinet he worked on at Hogwarts months prior.

Draco's breathing becomes ragged as his hands begin to shake. How could she leave him? How could she leave without a proper goodbye? Draco was confused, frustrated, saddened, and angered by Caroline.

Confused by how he thought their conversation last night was set on them leaving together. Frustrated by how she left without any warning. Saddened by the fact she had betrayed him so easily. And lastly he was angered by how Caroline thought she could be a runaway just like her good-for-nothing mother. Did she really believe she would last long after the Dark Lord had finally taken over the Ministry? Within weeks she would surely be caught and brought back to the Manor.

She would be killed.

He stands from the bed and makes his way towards the window, watching the early summer sunrise make itself known. The sky is a mixture of dark blues, pinks, yellows, and oranges near the horizon. Draco would have admired it more if it wasn't for the fact he could not stop thinking of Caroline. His anger was starting to subside as he watched the sun make it's peak lighting up his pale face.

She could be out there somewhere right now, by herself. Draco wondered if she was okay? If she felt any guilt for leaving him here all alone? Draco knew he was being stubborn as he only focused on the fact that he was left alone while Caroline was running for her life. He could not imagine the fear Caroline was in right now.

"Draco?" A soft voice of his mother comes from the doorway. He makes no move to face her, afraid he may break down into tears. He could not help but feel his heart drop at the sound of his mother who could make him feel so vulnerable. He hated feeling so young, foolish, and childish around her. "Where is Caroline?" Draco has to suck in his lower lip to keep it from quivering. Folding his arms over his chest he swallows down the lump in his throat. Draco clears it trying to keep his voice from shaking,

"S-She left." His voice had failed him. It cracked as soon as the first word left his mouth. He drops his head closing his eyes tightly as his shoulders start to shake. Narcissa's boots click quickly on the hardwood floor as she hurries up to her only son with fear coursing through her veins. Wrapping an arm around her sons waist she stares up at him with wide eyes.

"What do you mean she left?" Draco turns his head away from his mother, not wanting to show just how hurt he was by this. Swallowing hard he answers in a small voice,

"She's gone into hiding. I couldn't stop her, it was too late. Mum —" But his words are cut off once Narcissa engulfs him into a bone-crushing  hug. He drops to the floor, his mother kneeling down in front of him hugging his blonde head to her chest. She shushes him running her fingers through his hair as his shoulders shake and loud sobs sound into her nightgown.

"This is bad, very bad." Draco hears his mother whisper to herself as he tries to control his emotions. He felt like a child, but then again he still was one. He had only turned seventeen not long ago.