06

06

"How careless could you be?"

"I didn't mean for her to get hurt."

"You nearly killed her Draco!"

"I thought it would have been easier giving Dumbledore the cursed necklace. It would have been finished without giving the other Death Eaters a chance to get inside the castle!" I stare at Draco with wide green eyes.

Draco had just explained the necklace he had brought with us to Hogsmeade and how he imperius cursed Madam Rosmerta to give the package to Katie Bell. Things ended badly because of a small thing Draco forgot to tell Madam Rosmerta.

"How could you forget to tell her to make sure Katie doesn't touch the package?" I still couldn't believe he had cursed her. Draco takes my hands in his making me look at him.

"I know that was a big risk to take but I just really need to find another way to finish Dumbledore. I do not want to let the Death Eaters inside the castle."

"Draco, if the Dark Lord finds out that you are weaving yourself around the original task he isn't going to be pleased. He wants you to physically kill the Headmaster, not curse him. The Dark Lord wants to test your bravery." I follow him out of the Room of Requirement ignoring the "girls" who were asleep slumped against the wall.

"I know what he wants Caroline." His voice holds annoyance so I take that as my que. to stop talking about the subject. We walk through the crowded halls hand in hand silently. People glance and mumble to their friends once we pass, but we only ignore them.

...

December soon comes all too quickly. We walk outside into the winter wonderland of the Hogwarts courtyard. Many people were enjoying the snow, pelting their friends with snowballs and whitewashing each other. I smile as a pair of Hufflepuff boys annoy a couple of girls who were studying at a bench by dropping a puff of snow into their neatly styled hair. They squeal while standing from the bench giving the boys a hard glare. Before they know it the girls are chasing after them, their glares now covered with wide smiles.

It was hard seeing all the happy faces all over Hogwarts, oblivious of the outcome the end of the year will bring. It broke my heart seeing how everyone was so careless of anything happening around them. They all knew very well Lord Voldemort was back to bring terror to all of the Wizarding World but for now they ignored it and enjoyed the time they could with their friends.

I follow Draco out of the crowded courtyard relieved that no one had tried to throw a snowball at the two of us. Every breath I took clouded in the cold air, blowing past me. Small snowflakes flutter to the ground getting caught in my blonde curly hair and robes. My fingertips on my left hand were becoming numb but my right was being warmed by Draco's hand. It felt nice to hold it.

I had no idea where we were walking to, but it felt nice to enjoy the cold outdoors and forget everything that has been happening. It felt like old times (meaning last year) with Draco. When it would snow here at Hogwarts Draco and I use to always conjure a bucket of water and splash it onto the snow somewhere people would walk. We used to share a laugh when someone would slip and fall to their bum. We would usually do this to Filch, payback for all the times he would get us detention for walking in the halls late at night.

Now you may be wondering, did Filch ever get seriously injured? Of course he did being the age he was but come on, we're wizards for crying out loud! There isn't an injury Madam Pomfrey couldn't fix. No one would rat us out though to Dumbledore, even though the Headmaster knew who had done it. Somehow Dumbledore always knows the truth, even if he was never there to witness it. It kind of gave me the chills as I thought about it.